Malware Hits PC Cleanup Tool CCleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even CCleaner is not safe?

About time for me to give up the World Wide Web.

Although with the data breaches we have been informed of and not even considering all those we have not, I guess all my data is already out there.

Think of all those people getting their DNA tested to find out if they were a distant relative of King Tut.
You can't tell me their unique DNA is not at great risk of being stolen.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Thank Billy Gates back doors!
And Apple, for requiring an account to use their hardware/software and showing Google, Microsoft, Canon, Facebook to name a few, how it's done.

I've used nothing but Linux for several years but recently read an article on Satya Nadella. What a refreshing change from Steve Ballmer, maybe I should try Windows 10 again. Then I read this....nah!

Originally Posted By: csandste
I've used nothing but Linux for several years but recently read an article on Satya Nadella. What a refreshing change from Steve Ballmer, maybe I should try Windows 10 again. Then I read this....nah!

I've been using it for a few years too, and like it more and more.

I'm currently running CCleaner version 5.20.5668 (64-bit), so looks like I safe per the article which says it was only version 5.33 that contained the malware. Maybe I'll update my CCleaner when the dust settles on this.

Seems that it only affects the 32-bit version of CCleaner. They talk about 32-bit Windows but nothing about the 64-bit versions.

Did anyone catch a few of the comments in the PCMag article?

Comment 1
"Version 5.34 of CCleaner is not the CCleaner of old and is now just another malware scanner, no more cleaning (that I could find, at least in the free version). So while you want to avoid 5.33 because of the malware, you may want to stick with 5.32 if you use the app primarily for cache cleaning like I do! Luckily the new install of 5.34 didn't delete the older version 5.32 of CCleaner (which may also leave the bad 5.33 as well, BTW).

But this change leads one to suspect this was simply a publicity stunt to get people moved to the new version that needs payment to do anything useful..."

Comment 2
"FYI, I just ran Malwarebytes on my 64-bit machine with CCleaner v5.34.6207 already installed.
Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Nyetya for download of ccsetup533.exe and \Program Files (86)\iolo\System Checkup"

CCleaner used to be a good program,but thats no longer the case IMO.

I switched to BleachBit and works better for my needs.

I was using Linux Mint,but for some reason it wouldnt keep the drivers loaded for my Brother laser printer,so I gave up on that O/S.

I'm now using windows 10,and dont like it,
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

I was using Linux Mint,but for some reason it wouldnt keep the drivers loaded for my Brother laser printer,so I gave up on that O/S.

I'm now using windows 10,and dont like it,
lol.gif

One of the biggest problems with Linux is that many printer manufacturers don't adequately support drivers. Had a perfectly good Epson that had buggy drivers--cheap printer so no big thing. I usually go with HP even though there are better hardware choices (without Linux) out there. BTW-- I'm running Mint Mate 17.03 on my computer and support Linux Mate 16.04 on my girl friend's.

Quote:

One of the biggest problems with Linux is that many printer manufacturers don't adequately support drivers.

Most people would consider that a problem with the printer manufacturers.

Linux is often called upon to 'rescue' FUBAR'd or antiquated Windows hardware; in short, if you buy supported hardware with linux "it just works"

8)

Last edited:
If you read all the articles, you'll find out only 32 bit Windows users were affected. Not a lot of those around any more.

That didn't stop one malware company from over-reacting and declaring 2.2 million infected. (These proclamations are almost always overstated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back