0W20 mobil 1EP virgin oil aromatic/plasticky smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just did an oil change using 0W20 M1EP SN. i sniffed a brand new 5qt jug and was surprised by this strong and a bit pleasant aroma. I vaguely recall smelling something similar in Pennzoil oil a while back (or was it Valvoline? forgot which one). I still had some empty bottles of the 5W20 M1EP SM oil i used previously and they didn't have that smell. Is this a sign of esters?
thanks!

and to preempt jokes about tasting, i haven't done it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i just did an oil change using 0W20 M1EP SN. i sniffed a brand new 5qt jug and was surprised by this strong and a bit pleasant aroma. I vaguely recall smelling something similar in Pennzoil oil a while back (or was it Valvoline? forgot which one). I still had some empty bottles of the 5W20 M1EP SM oil i used previously and they didn't have that smell. Is this a sign of esters?
thanks!

and to preempt jokes about tasting, i haven't done it.

All M1 oils have esters, not just EP. Smell?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Smell?

yes, esters are known for pleasant smell.

table-of-esters-and-their-smells.jpg

You know the car wash soap guys have figure out that a good banana or coconut (pina colata) smell to their product will keep customers coming back.

Motor Oil Bouquet?

Update: I sniffed some more virgin oil samples and some left over empty bottles.
It's Pennzoil that has that plasticky smell too, but not as strong. I could smell it in PP, PUP, and QSUD. 0W40 M1 has some of that, but not 5W40 M1 (turbodiesel). Castrol products don't have it either. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back