Fuel leak from filler neck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got gas in my LR3 yesterday and when I got home, gas was literally pouring out of the filler neck. I've had the neck replaced before (exactly a year ago, same thing). It was also running a bit rough. No CEL. This morning I took it for a quick ride and it's all back to normal. Any ideas? I just used the autoshut off on the pump, didn't top it off after it stopped.

Thanks!

Are you routinely topping off the tank after the nozzle shuts off? this is not good for your charcoal filter system.

Next guess is the day got warmer right after you parked the car with the over-filled fuel tank, expanding the fuel with no-where to go other than out.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I got gas in my LR3 yesterday and when I got home, gas was literally pouring out of the filler neck. This morning I took it for a quick ride and it's all back to normal. Any ideas?

Something wrong with the way it's vented/vacuumed. Always stop at the "first click"

I stopped it right when the pump stopped, didn't force any more in. Never have pumped more gas after the pump stops. I'm going to run it down to a half tank again this weekend and top it off, see what happens.

What you mean by first click? Like the pump or tightening the gas cap? I've always done 3-4 clicks on the gas cap.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

What you mean by first click? Like the pump or tightening the gas cap? I've always done 3-4 clicks on the gas cap.

What I was trying to describe is while you are holding the pump nozzle at the gas station, squeezing the lever, watching the dial head to $65 or so dollars..when the nozzle 'clicks' that's really when you should pull the nozzle out of the filler neck and put back in the pump holder.
The idea is to prevent too much fuel in the filler neck of your LR3 tank.

As far as tightening your fuel cap on the LR3, 3 or 4 'clicks' should do it. Any more - you're just playing.
grin.gif

try filling only to the 3/4 tank level for the next 4 gas ups and see what happens to the leak issue. If it stayed fixed, I'd keep doing it that way.(Lazy man that I am.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back