Dex VI in 2006 Lucerne Power Steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

My brother came by with his 06 Lucerne and the PS was very low. It was also black -- looked like it was once maybe red. Car has almost 100k on it.

I had Dex VI in the garage and drained the reservoir and refilled with Dex VI. No noise and it drives great.

Is this OK? Now I'm reading on the internet that it should use a GM specific PS fluid.

Should I drain and refill?

-meep

Definitely look for the leak, but I've used Dex VI, Dex III, and P.S. fluid in my work truck ('06 chevy 2500HD),and not noticed any difference in steering sound or feel.

But I also lose about a 1/2 quart a month, and only started using the DEX mixes since April to use up old DEXIII that's been in the shed for the better part of 15 years in a truck nearing the end of it's useful life for us, so FYI.

thanks guys. not too worried about the leak. I'm pretty sure it's the oem fluid with next to no maintenance. Going low over 11 years.. meh...

I went ahead and err'd on the side of caution and hit the store for a 3rd time for the right stuff. Vacuumed out the Dex and used real PSF. I was more worried about seal compatability, and GM made some changes twice from what I can read about in the 2000's -- first away from ATF around 02 and then back to ATF around '12. Some forums mention rack pinion seals in certain buicks being sensitive in that timeframe.

-m

When I brought my truck home, the PSF level was on the very bottom of the dipstick. I topped it off and drove it a few months keeping an eye on the (non changing) level.

Flushed the system with clean PSF. I could have used ATF, but I already stock the stuff for my Jeep. No change in level. I've put over 10k on it already. I prefer the level to be ~25% between the hot and cold mark when cold.

Use Dex VI with confidence. I had a 09 Malibu that had a squeak while turning, which from what I read at that time was attributed to a seal on the rack and didn’t like the PSF that GM was using. The dealer wanted to replace the rack under warrantee, (only had 16,000 miles on the car) my work schedule didn’t allow for that at the time. Long story short I decided to switch over to Dex VI, the squeak I was hearing quickly faded and then left for good. God rid of the car at 130,000 miles, no squeak, no leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back