97 Silverado 1500 5.0 V8 4X4 5-speed manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
While looking for pickup trucks with manual transmissions and 4x4, I stumbled across this thing:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/713187075/overview/

This looks like a very fun vehicle. I'm amazed at how clean it is. Tempted to go see it in person and make an offer.

I'd use it for driving around town, towing a small boat in the summer, driving in snowstorms during the winter, and general yard cleanup tasks.

Anyone with experience regarding that generation Silverado and that particular powertrain combo? I'm surprised it has a V8, 4-wheel drive, AND a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Those were pretty good trucks back in the day when they were new. The 5 speed manual in the GM and Ford both, as found in the 1/2 ton model's, were on the weak side. Don't try plowing snow or towing heavy loads with them.

I have a snowblower and the boat probably weighs 2000 lbs with the trailer.

It would be my around town truck, with the Cobalt SS reserved for road trips.

Dealer got back to me, is sending pics of engine and underbody in the AM.

Only odd thing is the only carfax record shows the truck as "dealer inventory" with current date and mileage. No other records...

My first vehicle was a 1996 GMC with the 5.0 Vortec but 2wd and with an auto transmission. The 5.0 made plenty of power in that configuration and was pretty reliable for the most part. Any repairs were easy and inexpensive (it seems the fuel pump and alternator were weak points that we had to replace multiple times). After graduating from college in 2006, I gave it to my dad who drove it until it had 297K miles on it before somebody hit him from behind at 70 mph causing him to go off the road and roll.

If the undercarriage is clean I might go for this, depending on how much they are willing to come down in price. Edmunds has dealer retail around 3500 in outstanding condition with 125k.

Price is absolutely ridiculous. Fly out here and buy a truck and drive it home.

Also looks like a Hot Wheels toy

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Price is absolutely ridiculous. Fly out here and buy a truck and drive it home.

Also looks like a Hot Wheels toy

Early 2015 I needed a pickup, nothing like this was around. Trucks are priced like they're made out of gold.

That's a nice looking truck, but those exhaust tips have to go!

Good trucks, Dad has a '98 with a 350, rusty as can be but very reliable.

I want to LS swap a 3/4 ton GMT400 with a LQ4 6.0 and a 4L80e. Mild cam and shift kit in the 4L80. Will use the factory PCM from the newer truck and it shouldn't have an issue passing NYSI. Preferably a regular cab long box 4x4.

Yeah, I was going to say, those tail light covers and wind deflector would be the first to go. Same with the vent visors and exhaust.

Nice truck, get rid of the accessories. The 305 isn't a powerhouse but it's reliable. It would be perfect for what you want it for, but like others are saying it's way overpriced. $3500 tops.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Way overpriced!$2500 tops

It is overpriced, but still a $4K-5K truck easily, at least around here.
not here. Undesirable engine. Stick shift (although I prefer that) 1/2 ton and a small cab are against it. Use those as a barganing chip to get the price lower

The CarFax report that is provided by the seller is very short on details, almost seems either fake or it's a fake VIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back