Scion xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at 3 different xB's all between 127K and 175K miles. This is southern California and rust and other related problems don't really exist.

Anything specific I should be looking at or looking for? It's got the Toyota 1.5L chain drive cam engine and a manual tranny.

Other than possible sludge, blowby or chain noise from poor maintenance, I can't imagine you'll find many issues. My biggest issue has been evap codes, probably caused by something with a pinhole leak from rust (which you won't have).

is one of 'em Blue?
as a massive Doctor Who fan, I always wanted a Blue one, with personalized plates "BLUEBOX". (or "BLUBOX", ETC. "TARDIS" is taken in OH)

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Oops! Forgot, they're all 2006, the first generation, self-propelled cardboard boxes.

They're self propelled? With 90 hp I thought there were holes in the floor to peddle through.

The ac compresssor does not have a clutch. If it gets low or has a problem it will grind its self up untill it locks up. There is a "fuse" so that the locked compressor will allow the belt to still operate... anyway just something to remember when hit with a huge ac repair bill.

Stay away from the '08-'12 with the 2.4L because all that additional power comes at the expense of a known issue with too small oil return holes in the pistons which coke up and cause oil burning or drinking.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Oops! Forgot, they're all 2006, the first generation, self-propelled cardboard boxes.

They're self propelled? With 90 hp I thought there were holes in the floor to peddle through.
With the manual transmission, VVTi, and farm tractor-like gearing (4000 RPM at 70 MPH in 5th gear)-if you keep the RPMs above 4000 or so, they're plenty fast enough, the little 1NZ-FE loves to rev.

I've been looking at 3 different xB's all between 127K and 175K miles. This is southern California and rust and other related problems don't really exist.

Anything specific I should be looking at or looking for? It's got the Toyota 1.5L chain drive cam engine and a manual tranny.

You're not replacing your Honda tin can are you?

My friend's dad has a 1.5L with over 300k miles on it. I did a water pump, serpentine belt, and spark plugs at 280k miles. Besides that it has needed a few sets of tires and brakes. Pretty much the definition of a gas and go vehicle.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

You're not replacing your Honda tin can are you?

The Civic will gradually be placed in partial retirement if I purchase a replacement. So far no firm decision has been made. I have no plans to ever sell the Civic. We've been through over 30 years together and the thought of not having that car around is unacceptable. Everything works, there's no rust beyond a couple of pinpoint spots, it gets great mileage and I still like driving it.

I consider the first generation xB an updated version of an 84 Civic wagon. It would be nice to have fuel injection, at least some airbags, and more than 75 horsepower.

Do some young people just don't get mechanical devices. I've looked at 11 1st generation xB's and they've all been abused. One, the dipstick was completely dry. The person that owned it was not aware that oil changes were important. He told me that changing oil every 3K miles was a myth and that he changed it when the oil pressure light came on. Another person showed me that the coolant was right at the top. The only problem was that he showed me the windshield washer reservoir. And this kind of stuff went on and on and on. On a test drive, I returned right away. The cam chain and/or tensioner was so loud I thought the engine would come apart. A used car dealer showed me records that did not match the vehicle. Same with the fax report. Another really nice looking one had a killer sound system, custom wheels and an aero kit that looked great, paint matched and everything fit. The engine compartment told a different story. It was a mess and there were oil stains, swollen radiator hoses, a battery covered in corrosion and the dipstick did not register any oil. The owner kept repeating what a great car this was and how he took such good care of it, aways garaged it and spared no expense to make it a great ride.

I'm about to give up. Maybe keeping the Civic was meant to be.

Do some young people just don't get mechanical devices. I've looked at 11 1st generation xB's and they've all been abused. One, the dipstick was completely dry.

A lot of people are that way towards their cars. What's "young people" to you, under 70?

Last edited:
Best time to look for a car is when you don't need one; that gives you time to avoid the clunkers.

I saw a 2005 Vibe 5sp about a month ago in near mint condition and 120K miles and I should have snapped it up

My 1NZ-FE has had 1 issue in the 410K+ miles I've had it; a bad coil, which took a scanner and $50 and 15 minutes to repair.

It burns oil like my furnace on a -10F night, but it has no indication of being on its last legs; I have no qualms about driving it 500 miles to my parents, turning around two days later and driving back.

-T

Fantastic drivetrain... I'm currently at 215,000 miles with no issues.

You're right about most of them being abused. Surprisingly quite a few xB's were purchased by elderly drivers because of their ease of entry. Hopefully you can find one of them.

I also wanted an xB, but I couldn't find any good ones. I needed something quick and I ended up with an ECHO instead.

Do some young people just don't get mechanical devices. I've looked at 11 1st generation xB's and they've all been abused. One, the dipstick was completely dry. The person that owned it was not aware that oil changes were important. He told me that changing oil every 3K miles was a myth and that he changed it when the oil pressure light came on. Another person showed me that the coolant was right at the top. The only problem was that he showed me the windshield washer reservoir. And this kind of stuff went on and on and on. On a test drive, I returned right away. The cam chain and/or tensioner was so loud I thought the engine would come apart. A used car dealer showed me records that did not match the vehicle. Same with the fax report. Another really nice looking one had a killer sound system, custom wheels and an aero kit that looked great, paint matched and everything fit. The engine compartment told a different story. It was a mess and there were oil stains, swollen radiator hoses, a battery covered in corrosion and the dipstick did not register any oil. The owner kept repeating what a great car this was and how he took such good care of it, aways garaged it and spared no expense to make it a great ride.

I'm about to give up. Maybe keeping the Civic was meant to be.

Yeah it's amazing how so many people these days make their vehicle look good at the expense of actual maintenance. I shake my head.

For what it's worth, check out Carmax.com...there are a few 2006 manual transmission Xb on there, around 8k and 110k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back