Subaru Forester 2.5 durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a 2003 Subaru Forester AWD with 2.5 engine. I've not yet driven it. It had150k on the odometer. A local dealer had it. I do not know it's history. Probably purchased at auction. Asking $1490. Are these durable engines? It will be a college car for my daughter. Mostly highway miles from home to school on occasion.

Last edited:
I may be off on the model years, but I believe blown head gaskets were an issue with the 2.5l in that timeframe.
I'm not sure how to check for that without doing a UOA, though...

Need to make sure it's had the timing belt done recently and is want to know about head gaskets. I've had friends and fanily with this engine in different cars who have had head gasket problems.

Milkshake looking oil? The OP could also check for oily coolant as well as low coolant level.
Some of the 2.5s suffer external HG failures that are easily spotted and easily managed while an internal leak might exist for some time undetected.
The OP could check the glovebox for records. You'd be surprised what you find in used cars. There is a very good chance that this engine has already had the HGs done, which would also mean that timing belt service has been done. If done properly, there should be no further issues.
This is a pretty cheap car if it's in overall good condition. If it is, then even a HG job might be worth doing.
An AWD Subie would be a good pick for a young daughter in areas that see severe winter, like SD.

Totally agree...check for head gasket, timing belt, and flood damage. Other than these items the 2.5 is generally good to go.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Head gaskets and weak automatic transmission...

Otherwise great cars.

The 4EAT wasnt known to be weak. esp behind the non-turbo engine.

I had an '04. Good car but for me the seats were horrible. Not the answer to your question but something to check if you're going to drive any long differences.

That year's EJ25 engine was somewhat prone to external headgasket leaks- leaking coolant. Subie's fix was basically stop leak, and regular coolant changes, re-adding the stop leak. My Dad's got one with 300k on the clock.

4eat is usually fine up to 300ish HP. It even has a nice drain plug to change atf regularly.

if its got 150k on it most likely the HG has been changed. they leaked mostly externally unlike the DOHC models that leaked insternally. if its drivable and in a condition acceptable to you, for $1500 i would buy it.

if you self wrench they are really easy to work on. parts are not too expensive and readily available. look for bad CV boots, ball joint and tie rods and control arms. these parts are cheap and easy to install if needed. the seat cushions suck after so many years though

MY 99 OB has 279k miles and is still going strong.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Otherwise great cars.

The 4EAT wasnt known to be weak. esp behind the non-turbo engine.

I wouldn't consider it to be strong transmission. Not bad, but not great.

One thing I know for sure about boxer engines is that changing the spark plugs are a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otherwise great cars.

Wrong. The 4EAT transmission is pretty much bullet proof. If the head gaskets have been repaired properly it should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Otherwise great cars.

Wrong. The 4EAT transmission is pretty much bullet proof. If the head gaskets have been repaired properly it should be good to go.

Yep, plenty of people on subaruforester.org running high mileage modded FXTs with the 4EAT.
I really disliked the feel of that tranny, but I don't see it as a reliability concern.

My parents 2000 Forester owned since New has 200k miles and never any engine work or any major mechanical work. It was serviced per Subaru requirements initially by dealer then a Subie Indy 90k-present.

Just a dash(rare), wheel bearings, starter and alternator.

Otherwise great cars.
Thats not a weak trans - best in the import industry. Its a bit of a gas hog. ... Though I bet not as bad as My Nissan CVT.

Parent around here spend about two grand a year in repairs to keep their kids "cheap used cars " going.

Not A good value proposition.

How about a $129/mo Toyota or Honda lease?

Oh, I guess they'd smash it and trash it up.

What's a Goy to do?

I have one with over 350K on it and know of a few others with almost 500K.

If you can get an independent shop to put it in the air you can see the condition of the head gaskets whether replaced or OEM or leaking. Also a leak down test of the radiator to see if it holds pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back