Takata airbag settlement letter help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some of you must have received similar letters. Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms what this letter is saying and what my options are/should be?

This legal speak is making me dizzy...

right-click.... View Image to see larger version.

37095147386_762051c9a8_o.jpg

I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX and a 2000 BMW 528i sedan. Neither has been subject to an airbag recall in Canada. I suspect both have been in the US.

Does anyone know if these "sold in Canada vehicles" have another brand of airbag? Another possibility is that Takata is simply playing safe by replacing American owner's airbags first.

Canadians are less likely to sue and even if they do, are quite unlikely to get awards of tens of millions of (82 cent) dollars.

I got the letter too, had the airbag replaced free of charge, and was as equally confused as you are.

I just let things be. Not sure how I can be at fault for anything?

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX and a 2000 BMW 528i sedan. Neither has been subject to an airbag recall in Canada. I suspect both have been in the US.

Does anyone know if these "sold in Canada vehicles" have another brand of airbag? Another possibility is that Takata is simply playing safe by replacing American owner's airbags first.

Canadians are less likely to sue and even if they do, are quite unlikely to get awards of tens of millions of (82 cent) dollars.

Probably less likely to be affected. It was really the heat and the humidity after several years that caused the compound to become unstable. That's more in the American south than anywhere in Canada.

Its just a dirty moneymaking scheme from [censored] lawyers.

How many millions are they making off of something automakers are handling by recall?

I had heard Honda even had a goodwill loaner program for a while.

If it can be determined that nobody was injured or killed due to a faulty airbag during the course of this suit, I hope the lawyers are disbarred and made to pay the states for legal fees associated with entertaining this.

Tamara and the manufacturer 's are trying to do the right thing. I received a new airbag and it was only a little inconvenient. No need to sue for my inconvenience. Now the people who lost their lives because of a faulty airbag....their family's deserve compensation.

Amazingly enough, my leased i3, which DID have an airbag replaced under recall, was excluded from the list of vehicles.
I want some money!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

How many millions are they making off of something automakers are handling by recall?

If it can be determined that nobody was injured or killed due to a faulty airbag during the course of this suit, I hope the lawyers are disbarred and made to pay the states for legal fees associated with entertaining this.

Actually several people have been injured and killed by the faulty airbags. It boils down to the propellant used. It was just unstable under high heat and humidity so the explosion was more powerful than anticipated. That's why the recalls keep expanding, the entire design is faulty but may be ok in some areas that don't have that much heat or humidity.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm sure some of you must have received similar letters. Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms what this letter is saying and what my options are/should be?

This is a class action against BMW. The claim is that BMW knew about the faulty Takata airbags but kept selling cars anyway.

Go to the website and it will spell things out pretty clearly.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Actually several people have been injured and killed by the faulty airbags. It boils down to the propellant used. It was just unstable under high heat and humidity so the explosion was more powerful than anticipated. That's why the recalls keep expanding, the entire design is faulty but may be ok in some areas that don't have that much heat or humidity.

I understand that some people were. That prompted the recall.

I also understand that all automakers are making it right.

My comment was about the number of injuries since the recall started.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I understand that some people were. That prompted the recall.

I also understand that all automakers are making it right.

My comment was about the number of injuries since the recall started.

I don't understand how your point has any bearing though. In theory if they replaced the bags before anyone is killed or injured, isn't that a good thing? Or are you implying that they should wait til someone is injured or killed before they initiate recall of the bags? If the design is faulty, then it's just a matter of time before someone is injured or killed. The suit is somewhat shaky though, while it's true that the auto makers knew, they also knew it took a few years before it became unstable and they didn't have an alternate source of supply as Takata made a lot of airbags for many manufacturers. I guess to lawyers, auto makers should just stop making cars until they could procure the correct type, but then they'd just go out of business.

Originally Posted By: dparm

This is a class action against BMW. The claim is that BMW knew about the faulty Takata airbags but kept selling cars anyway.

Go to the website and it will spell things out pretty clearly.

I did, and it doesnt make it any clearer for me.

If I accept this particular settlement, do I forego my rights to collect from any future settlements?

Not all cars had Takata. I received a letter from Toyota for my Corolla a couple months back. Your best bet is to contact Honda and BMW and ask. The recall for mine was passenger side only. They said the work will take 2.5 hrs.

You have the same airbags as us. And whats worse they say "high humidity areas" are worse. So they think Florida no doubt, alas we up here in the north central US have brutally rainy and humid and hot summers and if a car is stored at all during winter or spring....lots of moisture. Just my observations. Of special note, the sign of a good Takata replacement is greasy fingerprints all over your headliner. (Don't ask how I know)

If I accept this particular settlement, do I forego my rights to collect from any future settlements?

If you accept this particular settlement you forego your rights to collect from any future settlements. Reread the section under Your Other Options.

Also, from https://autoairbagsettlement.com/en/BMW/FAQ

What am I giving up in exchange for the BMW Settlement benefits?
If the Settlement becomes final, Class Members who do not exclude themselves from the Class will release BMW from liability and will not be able to sue BMW about the issues in the lawsuit.

As an aside, it's funny how many of the BMW Subject Vehicles my sister and b-i-l have owned: 2003 325i, 2004 X3, CPO 2006(?) 3-series convertible, 2006 330i, 2007(?) X3, 2007 335i, 2008 X5, 2011 5-series, 2011 X3, 2012 135i convertible, used 2013 X1, CPO 2015 328i xDrive. Good thing the 200* model year 7-series aren't included, or I'd be adding two more to the list.
crackmeup2.gif

Not sure if they know (or care) about the Class Action Settlement.

I'm not going to read the posted letter.

But usually what these things are trying to say that if there is a class action settlement that has money left over after legal fees to pay to members of the class (which is often not the case) as a member of the class you can claim that money.

OTOH, if you want to retain your right to sue the manufacturer individually, you need to opt out of the class action settlement and you will not be able to share in those proceeds, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back