going to check out the end of the Cassini mission?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Congrats to NASA on a very long and successful mission!

Don't forget JPL and all those Cal-Tech grads.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Looks like some good links here:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-announces-cassini-end-of-mission-media-activities

Oh, to be able to step through time and tell Giovanni Cassini that a few hundred years hence, there would be an almost magical unmanned ship that would sail to Saturn to discover it's wonders. And the ship would be named after him.

This is humanity's "good stuff".

Incredible photos of Saturn....

Well this surely does put my problematic squeaky brakes in perspective..
smirk.gif

One of my professor in grad school was doing signal processing of the images sent back from Cassini and was only teaching to keep his skill sharp. He would fly to whichever telescope facing Cassini at the time when it is transmitting signals and adjust the DSP filters in real time. He was beyond the league of the typical professors in our school and inspire a lot of people on how to do things the right way and the theory / reason behind why things work and not work.

Have any photos "inside" the atmosphere been released?

I know they said they would use any remaining fuel in the thrusters to keep the antenna pointed back home.

Data from Cassini, whose mission was completed in September 2017, shows that Titan is moving away from Saturn at a speed of 10.16 cm per year, which is a hundred times faster than previously thought. I found a theory that proves that satellites should move to the planet and fall on it in the end.

Back