Ford dealership using Hastings oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded my F150 for a used F250 6.2 gas from a Ford dealer. I traveled 14 hour (7 there and 7 back) to meet the sales manager (he traveled 4 hours to meet me and 4 hours back). He said they did an oil change when they got the truck. Add said it was up for 3 days but i never asked how long they had it. The truck has about 58k miles. The oil shouldn't have more than 700 miles on it yet its super black. Its about as dark as when i got 4k to 5k miles on my other vehicles. And to top it off, it has a Hastings oil filter. Why would a Ford dealership not use a Motorcraft filter?? Did they possibly lie about the oil change?? Or maybe the tech told the sales manager it was done but never actually changed the oil??

Any thoughts??

I think they lied. Although, with all the driving done to meet together.....
smile.gif

They might have changed the oil, maybe, and left the old filter. It happens, car dealers lie too, some a lot. I'd be inclined to drop the oil and change the filter, and take it from there.

I bought a Ford from a Ford dealer several months ago and they said the oil had been changed. It had a Motorcraft filter and the oil on the dipstick was clear, so I believed them. I did change it again after 3K miles.
However, in your case, I'd have some doubts. If that is all that bothers you about your transaction, change it yourself and sleep better at night.
That Hastings filter isn't a bad filter, though. I picked up a few dozen of them from RockAuto a few months ago for under a buck a piece and I'd rate them as good or higher than a Motorcraft filter.

I have no doubts in the filter quality, i just find it odd in the fact that its not a Motorcraft filter coming from a Ford dealership.

They lied you...

The GM dealer told my mother-in-law that her ''13 Impala LT 3.6 was twin turbo and needed synthetic oil. And also had two "special order" batteries. I told her to stop going to that dealership, because they're trying to rip people off.

Once, I had Toyota dealer insist a Tacoma Pre-Runner, I was thinking about buying, was 4x4. I took him outside, got on the ground, looked under the truck, and asked, "then where's the transfer case and front drive shaft?" After that, the salesman admitted to not knowing much about trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Randy_270
I have no doubts in the filter quality, i just find it odd in the fact that its not a Motorcraft filter coming from a Ford dealership.

Some of them will lie and some of them will lie all the time. Over a decade ago, a co-worker bought a used late-90s GM vehicle with the 3.1 engine from a GM dealership. I warned him about the intake manifold gaskets and I even had him go back to the dealer because his car was leaking coolant. Sure enough, it needed new intake manifold gaskets which they replaced on warranty. The irony of all this was that the shop service adviser told him that he had never heard of any 3.1 or 3.4 engine having intake manifold gasket problems and that his car was the first.

I would change it immediately.
My F150 4.2L with 168K miles is still golden clear after 1500 miles, and I used to run EP up to 14K-15K when I was running mostly highway.

Why would a used car purchase require an OEM oil change?

They probably have a protocol to save money when doing service on used cars.

Every used car I have purchased has had a jobber oil filter on it and unknown oil.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Every used car I have purchased has had a jobber oil filter on it and unknown oil.

Wouldnt an in house made filter be cheaper? The Hasting cost more then the Motorcraft does on rockauto, im guessing it would cost a dealership more too.

Either way im calling the sales manager tomorrow because i picked up the truck yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
Wouldnt an in house made filter be cheaper? The Hasting cost more then the Motorcraft does on rockauto, im guessing it would cost a dealership more too.

I took the Matrix to the Ford dealer for an oil change which I've done in the past. This one time the advisor came in to tell me that it will take a little bit longer since they have to get an oil filter from the auto parts store since they don't have the filter in stock. I was happy they told me about it instead of being unscrupulous about it.

While an oil change might be the top of your priority list, it's the opposite for the selling dealer. Meaning it's at the low end of the priority list, if it even makes the priority list in the first place. They are more concerned with selling the truck, profit, delivering truck to you, making sure it's clean inside and out, filling up the gas tank, no flat tires, safety inspection, cosmetics, etc...

Whenever I buy a used vehicle I immediately change the oil & filter.

I can understand your position since it was a condition of the sale that a fresh oil change was performed.
I would communicate this to the dealer and the manager that delivered it to you.
I am guessing you paid a premium since they were willing to spend a day delivering it.

My opinion is it was not changed as promised based more on the condition of the used oil rather than the filter.
It is possible the parts dept did not have a filter in stock and sourced one from a local auto parts in order to follow through on the sale...but if the oil is as bad as you describe then it sounds supsect.

Just start off new with your own oil change before winter.
Hastings and Baldwin are just okay filters. They are living off an old reputation. I've cut many and am not excited over them
and lately they stink and I won't use them- center tube gaps and distortions and many haven't upgraded to a silicone adbv yet.
Not as good as some Chinese filters on the market.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

A dealer cost on a Motorcraft filter is going to be less expensive than a parts store even when given a discount.

But I am with you on an oil change & filter being my first order of business when I get a used car home.

To the OP: Your words, "...its super black...", tells the whole story.
I think dealers live to lie. They get to exercise the contempt they have for you and the rest of the world.

When you call the dealership tomorrow what is it you intend to say or accomplish?

Not sure yet. The dealer is out of my way for any of my travles so free stuff still wouldnt help. Maybe a $50 rebate to cover the price of my oil change (Canadian prices) plus letting them know im dissatisfied. They know my wife and I are going to be getting a 2018 Ford Expedition to replace our Explorer and if they want a chance at our money again, theyll figure out a way to make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back