Battery lifespan in a commercial mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they aren't in the best operating conditions bouncing around all the time, but most batteries in commercial mowers don't sit under the hood in 200 degree temps either.

What can you expect the lifespan to be for a battery that gets used everyday 12 months a year?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What can you expect the lifespan to be for a battery that gets used everyday 12 months a year?
They fail faster in hotter weather, and I can't imagine (other than the desert SW) how much hotter it could get than cutting grass in SE TX!

Mower batteries are usually small and 18 month types.
Can't expect more than 2 or 3 years.
Make a larger battery box and put a car battery in.

My 2¢

I got 6 years out of the battery on my Ztrak. Its a entry level commercial mower, used in a residential setting. I got about 300 hours out of it roughly, stored in a non heated garage in the winter, connected with no battery tender.

Never had an issue, until the day a cell went bad and nogo.

I have always wondered about the rough conditions of mowing and the vibration. Hasn't seemed to be an issue.

My last JD commercial mower used the same battery as a late 90s early 00s honda civic. No issues with those as well.

How long is the battery on your car lasting ? I would not expect a mower battery to last any longer ? Maybe less .

I think you said 12 months out of the year ? That should keep it charged . That may help it some .

But as long as it is commercially available , no point in worrying about it . Keep it watered , if that is possible .

Replace it when it fails .

Best wishes , :)

In my lawn tractor, the everstart from walmart lasted longer than the dihard that came with it. (4years and counting vs 1year. ).

While I have had a few go beyond 4 years, between 3-4 years seem to be the average.
After I had a $46 JD battery go a year, I have come to the conclusion that the quality and quality control are so marginal, that the best bet is the cheapest option.
I am on my second Rural King $14.00 special. The first went 4 years.

It really depends. Some batteries are better than others.

The original battery in my John Deere went 2 or 3 years. The replacement Interstate from Home Depot has been in there 8 or 9 years. Still cranks with plenty of power, and has never been on a charger.
21.gif

Mine is going on its 10th year but it is a small car battery. It doesn't show signs of stopping. I never use a maintainer and it always fires right up in the spring or dead of winter if I want it to.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Simple. When it dies. Replace it. Then let us know how long it lasted.

+1 If he dies, he dies. Trying to say it like Ivan Drago did. Hook it up to a battery tester every six months to test the condition otherwise there is no way to tell.

If the battery is a "no maintenance" sealed type, it will last considerably longer than a non-maintained maintenance type if kept properly charged. My experience with maintenance free batteries is approx. 5 years in a northern climate with regular charging.

A properly maintained maintenance battery can last up to ten years or longer if electrolyte levels are regularly checked and topped off as well as not allowing the battery to discharge. I have numerous small riding mower size batteries for various machines and purposes. I usually service them in the spring after being left dormant for six months of winter, unheated and again in late fall when left for winter storage. All batteries are either connected to solar panels where electricity is unavailable or connected to a battery tender where electricity is available.

The best battery I ever had was a large automotive battery hooked up to my diesel generator. I installed it in 1986 and replaced it in 2013. That's 27 years! Ironically, the battery lasted longer than the company I bought it from. They would have been proud of that battery!

Like mentioned above, excessive heat and the shock of being bounced around would be the early killers of a battery in this application. A funky voltage regulator too as mentioned above would do it. The Walmart battery in my 10yr old Craftsman riding mower is at least 6yrs old with no signs of failing. I keep a $6 HFT battery tender on it over the winter. I bought the mower used in 2012 and this battery came with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back