IndyCar Double points

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the Indycar series concludes today at Sonoma, the series is awarding double points to ensure a wider competition for the title. What do you think about this? Should all races be the same or should those venues with more value award more points. Is there a better way to determine a season champion?

While the IndyCar 'last race' scheme doesn't sit particularly well with me, I completely understand giving more points to the Indy 500 champion given its status head and shoulders above any other race. I am admittedly biased on this subject. Maybe points should equal purse? Win the most money, you're the champ.

Isn't IndyCar where they've switched from running race cars designed and built by the teams to kit cars? And now double points. Isn't that manipulating the series after the rules were put into place? Why don't they shortcircuit the process and just pick the winner? I would not like working the series, following the rules, chasing sponsors and working a budget to have some clown pull a stunt like double points at the last moment in the series. I guess the organizers really like being in charge. The fans should be grateful that they are still allowed to buy a ticket, pay outrageous fees for parking and purchase overpriced food and drinks. Maybe the organizers are nice people, after all.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Isn't IndyCar where they've switched from running race cars designed and built by the teams to kit cars?

Yes, but.....

This is a double-edged sword. Constructors series ala F1 usually result in one team hitting the best combo and dominating the season (often the team with the biggest budget). This was also true in IndyCar. Remember the dominance of the turbines? Or the year Penske one-offed a Mercedes designed and built "stock block"? I go to Indy every year and the racing has never been better.

Can any F1 fan say that?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I go to Indy every year and the racing has never been better. Can any F1 fan say that?

You make a good point. No one really "dominates" in Indy Car. In F-1 it's getting boring watching the same teams dominate year after year. While everyone else plays follow the leader. About the best you can hope for is a screw up in the pits, or lousy tire strategy from a top team, for a different outcome. That's why it sucked when they took away refueling. It was another variable that helped insure a different outcome. Now it's more the track itself that changes the racing dynamics of these dominating teams. Not so much the car or the driver.

It really makes the last race more exciting, however Indy 500 should be the only double points race. I am even fine with points for qualifying for Indy since there is so much involved in it, it is almost like its own race.

I would like to see for purely selfish reasons that the last race of the year be at Fontana. Have it be a triple crown race with Indy and Pocono with financial incentives for participating in all 3 and winning all 3. I also would be ok with the triple crown being Fontana, Pocono, and Michigan.

I would like to see an open-wheel series where there were of course safety regs, a minimum weight, say 1,200 lbs, and a restrictor plate for say 600 hp and that's it. Run any engine, transmission, and chassis you like.

You might see some real engineering development and some different solutions to the problem of winning a race.

Double points is gimmick made worse by the scheduling of a hard-to-pass road course as the final race.

Though by no means the only factor, it cost Montoya the championship in 2015.

It's less of a factor this year, but the scoring system still needs to better reward the race winners.

LONGTIME CART, Indycar and Champ Car fan here. There should be NO Double Points races, not even the Indy 500.

These gimmicky rules for entertainment purposes ruin the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back