Bikes and high beams

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a 82F day yesterday and the 2-wheelers were out in numbers.

I see that nearly all the bikes drive with their high beam on, why is that?

Do American bikes lack the high beam indicator?

I hope it is not cuz some bikers lack the intellect to know the difference between high beam and low beam.

Also, how do you "let em know" without seriously making them mad?

Conspicuity

Quote:
• Using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way (Hurt, 1981).

Additionally since the head light is automatic on the filament in use typically will likely burn out first and it is thought that it is preferable to be stuck with only a low beam vs only a high beam should it elect night time to burn out.

So, you don’t need to let them know, they know.

Also, Michigan Motorcycle Operator Manual (SOS-116) is relevant.

Last edited:
So you saw them?
That is the point, to be more visible.

Now a headlight modulator is a better way to go (automatically alternates between hi and lo beam).

If it were nighttime then it is more of a problem, but daytime not so much.
You also have some that have poorly adjusted headlights so the lo beam is pointing too high (or are riding 2 up so the angle changes).
And then you have those that put HID bulbs in halogen housings and you get a ton of glare, just as in car headlights.

Finally, some bikes are starting to come out with LED from the factory, and they are known to glare even from the factory.

No need to "let them know" they have a hi beam indicator. They know it is on. If you flash them, you will be ignored, since they know, or they may wave at you (or if they are a jerk may wave with 1 finger).

I ride with my lo beam on, but I have some Aux LED lights that are aimed a touch higher than the regular lo beam. I have never been flashed with them like that. My wife has driven toward me in her lower car and said the LED's are more noticeable in the daytime than just the headlight, but not blinding, even at night.
I am debating a headlight modulator.

Headlight modulator/ wobblers drive me nuts! It looks like the headlight bucket is loose in the handlebars. It's at its worst on smooth pavement just cruising along without bumps to explain away the wobbling. I see bikes because I see everything because my phone's out of reach.

I used to ride and if I'm on a jury where a biker gets hurt I'm not likely to buy the "didn't see ya" defense.

IMO the 3-light harley with three low beams is the good setup as it lets others have some 3D perspective of distance.

I don't care for the modulator either; it looks too much like the wig-wags you see on emergency vehicles, and I believe they're too distracting for the general public.

When I used to ride, I kept the high beam off, but I did have two LED driving lights that I used during the day. My thinking was that the triangle of light would provide better perspective to other drivers. Whether or not that's true, I don't know.

I know I'm seen when cars ahead of me switch the mirror, during a sunny day!

Gotta love the VFR lights with 4-55w bulbs when hi beams are on. Gold Wings are amazing too.

So I should drive with my high beams on during the day so others can see me too? ;-)
:

Last edited:
Hi beam on, check.
Modulator on, check.
You saw me.. Great.

Long ago, the high beam was separate from the low beam. We were taught that the high beam was for daylight not only for visibility, but so that if the high beam went belly up, you could get home at night on the low.

How could a high beam bother you during daylight?

Originally Posted By: stockrex

Who cares if it makes them mad. Throw your high beams at them to let them know they're being unsafe douche bags by shining their brights into oncoming traffic that WON'T see them due to their brights in the oncoming traffic's view. If they're that paranoid or just plain stupid,they need to quit riding on the streets and maybe stay on the dirt. Oncoming cars with their brights on during the day is just as bad.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Who cares if it makes them mad. Throw your high beams at them to let them know they're being unsafe douche bags by shining their brights into oncoming traffic that WON'T see them due to their brights in the oncoming traffic's view. If they're that paranoid or just plain stupid,they need to quit riding on the streets and maybe stay on the dirt. Oncoming cars with their brights on during the day is just as bad.

And I will smile and wave, because the high beams in the daytime do not bother me, and I know that you see me.

I am paranoid, because drivers in a car do not see bikers (most common thing said by a car driver that hit a bike "I just did not see them" or "they came out of nowhere"), and anything that can be done to be seen helps. If you want to call me a douche for that fine, I am one, but one that you saw.

A proper halogen on high beam is less distracting than some "douche bag" that throws PnP HID or LED bulbs into a halogen housing. Should those douche bags stay off the street too?

Now nighttime is a different story, highbeam only when no cars around.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Hi beam on, check.
Modulator on, check.
You saw me.. Great.

Long ago, the high beam was separate from the low beam. We were taught that the high beam was for daylight not only for visibility, but so that if the high beam went belly up, you could get home at night on the low.

How could a high beam bother you during daylight?

Long ago, High beams were pretty dim compared to todays lights.

Extremely annoying, especially now that newer bikes have HID/LED headlamps.

The MSF course doesn't tell you to ride with your highbeams on and blind oncoming traffic so that you "can be seen." There are plenty of other ways to be seen, and I think between the straight pipes and chrome, motorists don't have any problem seeing an oncoming motorcycle.

Disclaimer: I am a rider, of all kinds of motorcycles, and I do not advocate this kind of behavior. If your lowbeam is so dim that oncoming traffic can't see you, then maybe it's time for a new bulb.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

And I will smile and wave, because the high beams in the daytime do not bother me, and I know that you see me.

I am paranoid, because drivers in a car do not see bikers (most common thing said by a car driver that hit a bike "I just did not see them" or "they came out of nowhere"), and anything that can be done to be seen helps. If you want to call me a douche for that fine, I am one, but one that you saw.

A proper halogen on high beam is less distracting than some "douche bag" that throws PnP HID or LED bulbs into a halogen housing. Should those douche bags stay off the street too?

Now nighttime is a different story, highbeam only when no cars around.

That's no different that the lifted truck guys shining their led bar in everyone's face to the point that you can't see where you're going. Would that not distract you or cause you to wreck your bike? Or worst case,cause the oncoming vehicle to be blinded,and driving straight into you. Contrary to what some people think,these lights ARE blinding during the day. It's like having the sun in your face while you're driving. Not cool to do that to other drivers regardless of what kind of vehicle you're driving.

To the car drivers [censored] about a bright headlight during the daytime - don't focus and star into the light. Anyone who rides motorcycles knows why some cyclists use high beam in the daytime.

I typically don't use high beam during the day, but instead adjust my low beam just to the point where I don't get flashed at night.

As has already been said, Motorcyclists know they have their high-beam on. If it helps get a drivers head out of their Apps, and you notice the Motorcyclist and don't pull out in front of them, or hit them, then it accomplished it's goal.

One must ride motorcycle to know why it's so important to be seen. It's next to impossible.

A blinding light is great. Completely destroys the urge to rocket out in front of an approaching motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back