2015 Ford PSD 6.7 38,000km OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fe at 166 is little high, but will be for so many miles...
Aluminum is only 17 - that pretty good!

Lots of Silicon - K&N air filter????

Not sure why they ran it for so long; way past the IOLM I would gather. What was their logic there?
Engine wasn't "harmed", but I'd not let that be a habit.
Does the vehicle not have a air filter meter also? Any idea of the status of that as well?

Cut the oil filter open. I would bet it is trashed. SMH why someone would do that to a $20K engine.

Filter minder was still good but I installed a new OEM filter as I have no idea when I get to see this truck again, I installed an Amsoil Dual bypass kit, full DPF/SCR delete, and 5W40 MAX Duty Amsoil HDEO so next UOA should look A lot better.
I'll check to see if I still have the filter in my bin I was planning on cutting it open.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Cut the oil filter open. I would bet it is trashed. SMH why someone would do that to a $20K engine.

Those numbers are higher than what you are "used to seeing" - that's all.

NOTHING in that UOA indicates anything is "trashed". I dare you to prove it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Those numbers are higher than what you are "used to seeing" - that's all.

NOTHING in that UOA indicates anything is "trashed". I dare you to prove it.
I am not talking about the engine. I am talking about the oil filter, but it still makes no sense why someone would do that to an engine

Before that filter is cut open, I'd love it if someone has the ability to put it on a test fixture and see if it's in perpetual bypass or not (I doubt it is, but would be nice to know for sure).

Then cut open and autopsy.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Before that filter is cut open, I'd love it if someone has the ability to put it on a test fixture and see if it's in perpetual bypass or not (I doubt it is, but would be nice to know for sure).

An MC FL-2051s ran for 38,000 miles would be in "bypass". Why? Because the media is probably torn open. They look pretty bad with far less miles on them and though I could be wrong I cannot imagine it would last for 38,000 miles without tearing.

Not that it matters much, but the OCI on this sample is 38,000 km (24,600 miles).

An MC FL-2051s ran for 38,000 miles would be in "bypass". Why? Because the media is probably torn open. They look pretty bad with far less miles on them and though I could be wrong I cannot imagine it would last for 38,000 miles without tearing.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Not that it matters much, but the OCI on this sample is 38,000 km (24,600 miles).
Missed that, it may make it better for the oil filter (maybe, but I am guessing it is still torn), but worse for the UOA. Wear metals drop on a per mile basis on longer runs. The mileage is about 3.5x my longest run to date, but the iron is more than 10x what mine produced.

I don't necessarily agree that it would have suffered a void or plugging, but I have no proof, as do none of us. It's speculation until we see the evidence of the filter.
The problem with cutting one open is that it's a destructive test; it alters things that you cannot put back.
That's why I'd like to see it tested on a dP gauge prior to being cut.

This is the challenge that eludes most BITOG conversations. Rather than speculate, why not KNOW? It takes effort, and that's not near as much fun as just guessing from the keyboard. Not picking on you, 2015 Ford PSD 6.7; it's not a thing unique to any one person here, but more of a pervasive societal thing. Heck even I fall victim to it at times. That's why I like to run "tests" outside of the norm; my UOAs are always from conditions that most folks won't do on their own, for example.

I've thought about making a rig to test filter dP from some old components, but never got around to it. Take an old log splitter, add on some flow and pressure gauges, and then make up an adaptive filter mount where the center thread post can be changed out quickly. May have to manipulate the drive to a variable speed pully so that you can get the flow you want, and also put a ball valve downstream so you can mimic the resistance of the engine. Viola! Unfortunately it's about #97 on my list behind a bunch of honey-do items ...

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree that it would have suffered a void or plugging, but I have no proof, as do none of us. It's speculation until we see the evidence of the filter. The problem with cutting one open is that it's a destructive test; it alters things that you cannot put back. That's why I'd like to see it tested on a dP gauge prior to being cut.
I am not in disagreement with what you say--it is indeed, speculation on all of our parts. However, based upon what I have seen, the FL-2051s (and its equivalents, unless wire backed) has a very long filter element with unsupported media and I lean heavily towards that element failing after that many miles. Obviously, it may have been just fine, but (as you say) at this point we can only speculate. One thing I am pretty confident of is that had the person changed the oil 3 or 4x in the 24K run instead of one time, the cumulative iron produced would not have been 166PPM. Does that mean anything in the long term? Who knows...it is just not how I would maintain my engines.

I've not seen one the of used filters for the 6.7L yet in person; only photos here. I will give credence to your experience over my non-existent exposure.

Now - all we need to do is pool our BITOG resources and Frankenstein together that dP rig!
grin.gif

Last edited:
danielLD don't you think a bypass filter would have been beneficial in this situation? The goal is having these trucks out in the field working as much as possible and rarely in my shop. Ideally I would be able to do oil changes once a year but that will be 100,000km so I don't believe that is feasible, but time will tell.

Filter as requested as it seems to have stirred up more conversation than I expected.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Missed that, it may make it better for the oil filter (maybe, but I am guessing it is still torn), but worse for the UOA. Wear metals drop on a per mile basis on longer runs. The mileage is about 3.5x my longest run to date, but the iron is more than 10x what mine produced.

This truck probably works 10X harder than yours does as well though, oil field truck, in knee deep mud on a daily basis running 42" mud tires and carrying 7 cubic meters of fluid at times. Lots of PTO hours as well. Although you are correct I think with regular oil changes we would of had 20% of the wear that we did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DustinC
Although you are correct I think with regular oil changes we would of had 20% of the wear that we did.
I am certain of it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back