Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
If both Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 High Mileage were the same price, which would you pick? Which is better? Why?

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and it is over 95000 miles. No leaks or loss.

Originally Posted By: NH73
If both Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 High Mileage were the same price, which would you pick? Which is better? Why?

I would wait for one to come on sale.

Regular M1 will do the job, but M1 HM will do it better. M1 HM is slightly higher viscosity. That is a good thing with higher miles like your engine. Also M1 HM has slightly more detergents and seal conditioners, which is a good thing, unless you REALLY REALLY want to replace your engine seals instead of letting the oil deal with it. Extra detergents only improve cleanliness, as far as Im concerned - that is a good thing. Overall M1 HM is a superior product compared to regular M1. The only place where regular M1 has a slight winning edge is anything below -20°.

P.S. Many race teams use HM oils because they are just as cheap as regular synthetics, but hold up to the engine torture on the track a lot better through higher viscosity and higher dose of various additives.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
That M1 10W-30 HM is stout

Yes that was my summer oil before changing to QSUD 5w-30 a few weeks ago for the winter.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
That M1 10W-30 HM is stout

Yes it Euro A3/B3 rated with HTHS = 3.5 cP and KV100 = 12.1 cSt.

The old formula was better, it was API SL with elevated zinc levels, a race oil in disguise. Then they dropped it to SN levels of zinc, but it's still a good oil and very strong. Just not as racey as before, especially if you had flat tappets.

Originally Posted By: NH73

My 1991 Ford F-150 has 153,000 miles on it. I use regular, plain 10W-30 Mobil 1. And change oil and filter twice a year. It leaks a bit from the rear main. It doesn't burn a drop, and passes emissions with flying colors. I see no need or reason to buy any of this, "high mileage" stuff. To me it's just a selling gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back