protective treatment for rubber top

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a Model A ford with a replacement top, what would be a good product to use to keep it protected from the weather and sun?? It seems like it is a sort of rubber, but I suppose it could be a soft vinyl.

I imagine its vinyl unless someone fabricated it from rv rubber roofing , meaning tpo or edpm. To be safe i'd not use anything with petroleum distillates. Maybe aerospace 303.

OK, I guess I need to ask if there are any ford Model A experts here, as this is NOT a convertible top. Just the standard replacement vinyl or rubber, I don't know which, top for a 2 door sedan. Feels like a type of rubber.

I guess I should have read about the 303 before thinking I needed more info. Seems that is the stuff to use for vinyl OR rubber, so I think I will use that. Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Aerospace 303. Nothing else. Best product for this. Doesn't get oily and protects for a long time.

This is my initial reaction as well. Or Megs M40. I use the M40 A LOT with generally great results. Although I question its effect on my current tonneau top.

Being that this is a Model A and likely worth a few coins I would ask this question on the Model A or antique car forums. You don't want to put anything on that will either harm the material or lower the value.

I'm just guessing here but would that top be some sort of canvas that has been coated or sprayed with a waterproof material like rubber? I don't think vinyl was invented yet. So we need to find exactly what kind of materials you are dealing with and then look for the appropriate products to use.

It is not the original top, it is a replacement top several years ago, but the exact material of todays replacements. The original ones were a different material. Whole new top kits are only a little over $100, but a lot of work to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back