Midrange FWD walk behind Mower - HU700F vs 20339

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings BITOG,

I'm in need of a new FWD 21 or 22in mower. I've been looking at either the Toro 20339 or the husqvarna HU700F. Are there any other options I should be looking at? Does the forum prefer either the Toros or Husqvarnas?

I currently have a 10yr old Craftsman push mower. I'm located near Chicago, with a lawn size of ~1/3 of an acre. I would prefer FWD as we have lots of kids lawn play items and I feel like the FWD may be easier to maneuver around everything.

Husqvarna HU700F
Pros: Bearings in the wheels, honda engine
Cons: handle bars look awkward.

Toro 20339
Pros: Local parts & repair shop very close
Cons: ?? expensive ??

FWD are much less durable than many rear wheel drive units. Night and day difference.

The standard is RWD, for a reason.

Just saying.

Everyone,

I ended out purchasing the Toro model 20339 last year. I love the front wheel drive, it makes it easy for me to maneuver around the all the kids junk in the yard. Additionally, the mower bad does not seem to sit flush with the mower deck which has the added benefit of telling you when it's full, when you see lawn clippings fly out of the top.

I would by this product again.

Honda HRR models are fairly priced, have a great warranty, and are basically bulletproof for the average homeowner.

I use the Honda HRX models in my mowing business. Honda HRX217VKA - (High-end Residential, but will hold up to Commercial use)

FWIW - I had the HU700F many moons ago. It was fine as long as the grass was completely dry. Any moisture at all, and it became a clog-o-matic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Care
Honda HRR models are fairly priced, have a great warranty, and are basically bulletproof for the average homeowner.

I use the Honda HRX models in my mowing business. Honda HRX217VKA - (High-end Residential, but will hold up to Commercial use)

FWIW - I had the HU700F many moons ago. It was fine as long as the grass was completely dry. Any moisture at all, and it became a clog-o-matic.

They are hardly fairly priced. Good mowers? Yes, but not great mowers. Their transmissions are very problematic and expensive to repair.

For FWD, a Toro Recycler or Husqvarna would do just fine. I'd even look at a Craftsman with a Honda engine.

I have a FWD Toro Recycler with the larger rear wheels and Briggs flathead engine. It's going on 10 years with no issues at all, just blade sharpenings, oil changes, and air filters. Still has the original spark plug even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back