Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GemStater
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Well you can pretty much always beat the Amsoil price at WM with a coupon and/or rebate. If price is your primary motivator, cool.

I was just pointing out an oil that advertises one year and 25k changes. Per quart you can see a bit over $8 for SS.

If (1) I actually put 25,000 highway miles on my vehicle per year, and (2) drive a mechanically sound vehicle that is proven to not be hard on oil, then I would be all over Amsoil Signature Series. I could save money and it would be a value to me. But since the (2)two criteria outlined above does not apply to my driving habits and/or vehicle condition, then, oil sourced from the big box store on sale and with mail-in-rebate is the better value for me.

Doesn't have to be all highway, and your personal standards for "mechanically sound" could be different than mine. In an oil burner for example, it would be foolish to put anything but the least expensive decent oil in it. If your vehicle doesn't burn oil and were up for it you could always give it a try, do a UOA or two along the way, and see how far it could go.

Well you can pretty much always beat the Amsoil price at WM with a coupon and/or rebate. If price is your primary motivator, cool.

I was just pointing out an oil that advertises one year and 25k changes. Per quart you can see a bit over $8 for SS.

If (1) I actually put 25,000 highway miles on my vehicle per year, and (2) drive a mechanically sound vehicle that is proven to not be hard on oil, then I would be all over Amsoil Signature Series. I could save money and it would be a value to me. But since the (2)two criteria outlined above does not apply to my driving habits and/or vehicle condition, then, oil sourced from the big box store on sale and with mail-in-rebate is the better value for me.

Doesn't have to be all highway, and your personal standards for "mechanically sound" could be different than mine. In an oil burner for example, it would be foolish to put anything but the least expensive decent oil in it. If your vehicle doesn't burn oil and were up for it you could always give it a try, do a UOA or two along the way, and see how far it could go.

Amsoil leaves a very small window for anything other than primarily a newer vehicle driving mostly highway miles with their 25k service recommendation:

Quote:
Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions. - Amsoil Severe Service Recommendation

- I live in a small town where I put less than 5,000-miles on both my vehicles per year. I can generally get to where I need to go in less than 10-miles.

- Both my vehicles have more than 100,000 miles

- Driving in dusty conditions, debatable for most anyone

I have used Amsoil Signature Series. I have done many multiple UOAs. One issue I discovered is higher fuel dilution in of all things my Honda Civic. Go figure. I went on to spend many hundreds of dollars trying to solve the fuel dilution issue to make my vehicle "Mechanically Sound", but to no avail.

So, been there, done that. Lots of money spend on premium top tier synthetic motor oil. Lots of money spent doing UOAs. After all that, for me, I found name brand full synthetic motor oil purchased from the big box store on sale and with MIR changed two times a year is what works best for me. I'm sure Amsoil Signature Series works well for others, but it all honestly it wasn't my finding. I still use many of Amsoil's other products, just not their motor oil; better value elsewhere. Just my opinion.

OK thanks for the info...FWIW I've had multiple vehicles on extended OCIs (10-12k) that were well over 100k miles and the UOAs were good.

Amsoil leaves a very small window for anything other than primarily a newer vehicle driving mostly highway miles with their 25k service recommendation:

Quote:
Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions. - Amsoil Severe Service Recommendation

- I live in a small town where I put less than 5,000-miles on both my vehicles per year. I can generally get to where I need to go in less than 10-miles.

- Both my vehicles have more than 100,000 miles

- Driving in dusty conditions, debatable for most anyone

I have used Amsoil Signature Series. I have done many multiple UOAs. One issue I discovered is higher fuel dilution in of all things my Honda Civic. Go figure. I went on to spend many hundreds of dollars trying to solve the fuel dilution issue to make my vehicle "Mechanically Sound", but to no avail.

So, been there, done that. Lots of money spend on premium top tier synthetic motor oil. Lots of money spent doing UOAs. After all that, for me, I found name brand full synthetic motor oil purchased from the big box store on sale and with MIR changed two times a year is what works best for me. I'm sure Amsoil Signature Series works well for others, but it all honestly it wasn't my finding. I still use many of Amsoil's other products, just not their motor oil; better value elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Yep some people are getting it. I also do two OCI's a year and the car is running great. I use what ever major brand synthetic that is on sale and the cheapest.

This product with its current label / marketing will probably shorten the life of a lot of engines. Especially the known sludgers and various DI & GTDI applications. Strikes me as irresponsible.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
This product with its current label / marketing will probably shorten the life of a lot of engines. Especially the known sludgers and various DI & GTDI applications. Strikes me as irresponsible.

I'm glad you mentioned that first. I feel the same way. Extended OCIs aren't for everyone, this product and a few others paint a different picture.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Walmart will be selling this like crazy when they put it on Rollback at $22.88.
Right you are JJ. That product won't occupy shelf space in Walmart for another six months. Not at $39.88 or any other price.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think most any oil is good for one year.

Probably so.

Or, at current prices get Amsoil for less than 1/2 the cost and not worry for a year or (up to) 25,000 miles.

I paid just under $40 for a 5 qt jug of 5W30 AP with a $10 WM gift card offer and a $12 rebate.
Even ignoring the gift card as that promotion has expired, how do you get 5 quarts of Amsoil SS for under $14?

Not knocking Amsoil, I will consider running SS if they come through on their LSPI promise...I just know it's not cheap.

Become a preferred customer and you get it at dealer cost. I think it's around $9 a quart then, the membership is $20 a year.

Personally, there are only a (half, or less) handful of M1 products worth of spending your money.
I used M1 '[censored]' many times, way too many - never again. There is BETTER stuff to use and for LESS money.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
Personally, there are only a (half, or less) handful of M1 products worth of spending your money.
I used M1 '[censored]' many times, way too many - never again. There is BETTER stuff to use and for LESS money.

What is your basis for this?

Delvac and one engine oil are the only ones I'd ever use. First is more expensive than a comparable product, second - is not widely available AND has its own Imitations in use.

D1 around here is about $22/gal jug and has the same MIR as M1.
Combine that with store discounts and you could be rockin' D1 for around seven bucks a gallon, although I realize that you don't see these deals in the Great White North.
Me?
I have an application which may get D1 5W-40 as its winter fill. A good oil that has higher HTHS than what most engines actually need.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think most any oil is good for one year.

Probably so.

Or, at current prices get Amsoil for less than 1/2 the cost and not worry for a year or (up to) 25,000 miles.

I paid just under $40 for a 5 qt jug of 5W30 AP with a $10 WM gift card offer and a $12 rebate.
Even ignoring the gift card as that promotion has expired, how do you get 5 quarts of Amsoil SS for under $14?

Not knocking Amsoil, I will consider running SS if they come through on their LSPI promise...I just know it's not cheap.

Become a preferred customer and you get it at dealer cost. I think it's around $9 a quart then, the membership is $20 a year.

Even then, we're talking $45 for 5 quarts (I need just a bit more than that for a change). I got my $10 gift card for WM last night, and the great thing about that is it can go for necessities...Speed Stick, groceries, cat litter, all the stuff I buy at WM. Assuming my $12 rebate comes through (and XOM has come through for me 3 times before), I paid $3.60 a quart for that AP.

I am serious about my interest in SS, though...the 5W30 and 0W30 I looked at before had some really outstanding properties. That 5W30 had a massive slug of calcium, though, and that didn't appeal to me at all in a DIT engine. Amsoil claims they are addressing LSPI through across the board reformulations, sounds like they will run the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI test although I highly doubt they will actually obtain licenses. If the reformulated SS oils look nearly as good as the old ones by gauges like low NOACK loss and low CCS viscosity, I don't mind shelling out some for an outstanding oil that is also LSPI resistant.

I am serious about my interest in SS, though...the 5W30 and 0W30 I looked at before had some really outstanding properties. That 5W30 had a massive slug of calcium, though, and that didn't appeal to me at all in a DIT engine. Amsoil claims they are addressing LSPI through across the board reformulations, sounds like they will run the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI test although I highly doubt they will actually obtain licenses. If the reformulated SS oils look nearly as good as the old ones by gauges like low NOACK loss and low CCS viscosity, I don't mind shelling out some for an outstanding oil that is also LSPI resistant.

Amsoil's next generation of oils have passed the GM LSPI testing:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4517352/Re:_LSPI_and_Engine_Oil#Post4517352

Mobil has out smarted themselves on this one and priced themselves right out of the market. It will see sales at $22.88 at Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jake9364
Is the new Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil that states you do not have to change the oil for 1 year for real, or is it unsafe to do that? Thanks

No, thank you jake9364 for having 6 posts and starting a thread with only the product name so it floats without context in the thread list. Thank you for including the small details like the (tm) and never replying again to your own thread now that fellow shills have grabbed the baton and regular members have taken the bait. I will only buy motor oil from companies that spend money on paying shills because it shows that they care the most and I need to support that. Once again, thank you. We need more online shilling, there just simply is not enough.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: jake9364
Is the new Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil that states you do not have to change the oil for 1 year for real, or is it unsafe to do that? Thanks

No, thank you jake9364 for having 6 posts and starting a thread with only the product name so it floats without context in the thread list. Thank you for including the small details like the (tm) and never replying again to your own thread now that fellow shills have grabbed the baton and regular members have taken the bait. I will only buy motor oil from companies that spend money on paying shills because it shows that they care the most and I need to support that. Once again, thank you. We need more online shilling, there just simply is not enough.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back