6 month old battery corrosion on (+) terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my Pilot; battery's from Batteries Plus (East Penn). I cleaned and polished the cables during installation and coated everything w/dielectric grease.

Why would a relatively new battery start fuzzing up so soon, that too an East Penn? The factory JCI Honda battery didn't start doing this until the last year of its life.

Possibly over tightening the connection of the battery cable to the post?? That could be a possibility.

Last edited:
I don't think this is very surprising but is it happening on both terminals or just one? If the negative it can be sign of a failing alternator and positive is overcharging.

Are you terminals clean? Is it possible that corrosion has moved into the cable and below the insualtion further back from the terminal and causing resistance? Maybe check the level of the cells as they can sometimes boil out onto the battery top and encourage what you are seeing.

Sounds like you are already doing good battery maintenance of washing it with a baking soda/water combo and wire brushing the terminals and the re-application of a grease?

I had the same thing happen on an Exide battery which is common on those apparently. But 5 years later it's still clicking along just fine. The spray protectants wouldn't last very long. Had Walmart TLE do their NOCO battery treatment service and zero corrosion since then. That was a few years ago. They clean the terminals, install the felt washers and put a nice thick protectant on them. I did both cars since the JCI on the Camry was starting to fuzz up as well.

This stuff is what you need. No more green fuzz after applying. Best stuff I have ever used. Much better than dielectric grease, as it continues working long after applied. Use the battery cleaner, then the battery protector.

7071019_crc_05023_pri_larg.jpg

05046.jpg

After you clean it off, glue a penny near the positive terminal. The penny will attract the corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
After you clean it off, glue a penny near the positive terminal. The penny will attract the corrosion.

I tried that before having the NOCO treatment done. Didn't help at all in my case. Then some yutz took it off while having some service done to the car. And said something along the lines of, good news we saved you some money today. Hands me a penny and said we found it on the battery with a big smile on his face. I said yes I put it there on purpose to keep the corrosion off of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
This is on my Pilot; battery's from Batteries Plus (East Penn). I cleaned and polished the cables during installation and coated everything w/dielectric grease.

Why would a relatively new battery start fuzzing up so soon, that too an East Penn? The factory JCI Honda battery didn't start doing this until the last year of its life.
Dang-this problem is why I switched from JC to East Penn for new batteries, the JC ones were leaking everywhere, even without being overcharged.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Possibly over tightening the connection of the battery cable to the post?? That could be a possibility.
+1 You don't have to lean on the wrench.

I blame the auto parts chains for the battery post leakage.They stack batteries at the bottom of a pallet with everything else stacked atop them.Not so bad for batteries like VW/Audi that have recessed posts (Or GM Sideposts),but everything else with posts standing proud atop the battery case are susceptible to 100s of pounds of load.

Over-tightening and weak seal.

My battery supplier originally use this. We get quite a lot of corrosion leakage.
ZZc0lUs.jpg

Then they change to this, presumably less prone to leakage.
WX9wrNC.jpg

Are you sure about this?

I cleaned up the battery today and carefully re-tightened the connections in-case I over-tightened them initially. My tool-of-choice for battery connections is a small 10 mm wrench. I give the nuts a final snugging with 2 fingers on the wrench.

Now I have to get the OBDII drive cycles ready again since my inspection's due by the end of the month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Are you sure about this?

Aren't pennies less and less copper than the old days?

Buy a set of color coded washers, soak them in oil. First pack edge of case where it meets the lead with heavy grease, wheel bearing grease,etc. then put the red one on the +. Its a weak point. Keep those connections clean and tight. While the cables are off, sprinkle some baking soda onto a wet paper towl and clean the top of the battery, Use water sparingly. oil and grease don' conduct well but the crud they trap does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back