01 Tahoe - fresh air blend door issue (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

A problem started yesterday afternoon. As I left a gas station, I started to get a loud clicking noise from behind the glove box. It sounds a bit like a relay being tripped, about 1 click per second.

Turning the HVAC controls to recirculate eliminates the problem.

In doing a search, it sounds like a fresh air actuator is shot? I also heard the entire dash might have to be removed to replace it.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. I am going into my mechanic on Monday, I am just trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Appreciate it.

Its the teeth in the actuator. Depending on which one is bad the dash may have to be layed back to get to it. We get 6 hrs and replace all while its opened up. There is 1 that can be done without removing the dash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk
A problem started yesterday afternoon. As I left a gas station, I started to get a loud clicking noise from behind the glove box. It sounds a bit like a relay being tripped, about 1 click per second.

Turning the HVAC controls to recirculate eliminates the problem.

In doing a search, it sounds like a fresh air actuator is shot? I also heard the entire dash might have to be removed to replace it.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. I am going into my mechanic on Monday, I am just trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Appreciate it.

Yes I was talking to a guy at NAPA just yesterday. They problem with new cars is they run pretty well but its all this kind of carp that kills cars and makes them unmaintainable in 8 to 12 years. So next time your looking for that shiny new ride pick the basic model without all the bells and whistles and you'll still be driving it in 20 years if you want to be.

If the part is reasonably priced , if I managed to get to the old one , I would replace it , not just turn the gear .

But it is your money , each to his / her own .

Best wishes , :)

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Hopefully its just the blend door actuator. Pretty easy fix for DIY.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

yeah, unfortunately, it isn't that one. All my HVAC works correctly, it is the actuator that must open/close the fresh air intake....

It is right behind the glove box. I can put my hand on the black box behind it, and feel the actuator trying to work.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yup, those GM door actuators are always going out.

It's 16 years old....somethings bound to break.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Would be nice if they made those gears out of metal , preferably ferrous metal .

then the blend door would break instead.

Kinda like a shear pin? Weak point.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Would be nice if they made those gears out of metal , preferably ferrous metal .

then the blend door would break instead.

You could be correct . :-(

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back