Enjoyment for Subaru fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's just something about the sound of a flat four tickling 8k rpms and oooh, that blow-off valve! The sub-7 minute Nurburgring time doesn't hurt either
smile.gif

Subaru WRX sets 'Ring record!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow: 7:57! That's a fantastic time.

I absolutely love the fact that Volkswagen (with its Golf Clubsport S), Honda (with its AWD Civic Type R), and now Subaru (with an out-and-out racer) continue to make assaults on the 'Ring with production-based, factory-backed cars.

Ain't no stinkin' 0W-20 weight motor oil in those sumps!
grin.gif

I enjoyed this run by Subaru........another record for them. Really cool at half way into video when he is sliding in the gravel.....WAY more balls to do the hill climb.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I enjoyed this run by Subaru........another record for them. Really cool at half way into video when he is sliding in the gravel.....WAY more balls to do the hill climb.

Big Brass Ones! Incredible
crazy.gif

I've always felt this was one of the better hill climb videos. What is really amazing is Alain Castellana who is driving, was 57 years old when this video was shot! And no shifter paddles. His hand goes to the stick for every gear change.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I clicked on the video hoping to hear a dogbox.

I heard my dogbox.

I was quite pleased. Thanks for sharing.

That sounds totally different than the WRXs I hear on the street. The local WRXs cruising around town here sound like a flat-4 Volkswagen with its firing order all out of whack.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is that the all time track record, or record for its class / engine ?

It's the new official sedan lap record, and that was done on the only lap of the day!

Well, this was a custom race car with 600 bhp.
Still, this puts a Subie into some very elite company.
This car ran a little faster than a considerably more powerful Ferrari.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, this was a custom race car with 600 bhp.
Still, this puts a Subie into some very elite company.
This car ran a little faster than a considerably more powerful Ferrari.

That this purpose-built race car could run quicker than a street legal Ferrari, is simply comparing apples to oranges. For a meaningful comparison, it needs to be compared to other purpose-built race cars.

The Ferrari that was slower around the 'ring than the Subaru was also a non-road legal vehicle which made 720 bhp and weighed less than 3000 pounds.
This was actually also a faster time than Lauda's pole position qualifying lap for the 1976 German Grand Prix in his Ferrari 312T, which IIRC correctly was the first sub seven minute lap of the 'ring.

The 'Ring, has changed substantially over the years.

As for the cars, I don't know the details of the ones being compared. What was obvious from the video, is that the Subaru was a very long ways from production car trim. Moreso than the Ferrari you mentioned? who knows?

I don't know either but I do know that another 120 bhp in a fairly light car talks loudly.
At 2965 pounds, this Ferrari would have likely been about as close to a road car as the Subaru was.

Hey, nobody said this Subaru was obtainable by average Joes. Neither is the Ferrari, nor very few of any of the other cars that hold 'Ring records. The money involved in ANY of said record-holding cars puts them out of reach of the 95%.

I shared because I am a Subaru fan. I shared because watching a 4 door pocket rocket lap one of the world's greatest road courses at a 122+mph average is awesome. I shared because I think it's super cool to watch a 2.0 liter, production-bodied, four cylinder boxer-engined car touch 170mph (280kph) at parts on the course.

But I shared mostly because I think it's cool that Subaru is constantly pushing the racing envelopes in multiple, dissimilar racing forums in order to improve their brand and product. To me, there are only very few car manufacturers still practicing the "Win on xxxday, sell on Monday" that made Detroit such a powerhouse in the 60's. NASCAR? Tube chassis with unrelated engines. F1? Obvious. Indy? Obvious. Subaru in WRC, this video, the Red Bull series, Pikes Peak, etc? That's an honest to goodness recognizable WRX with factory-based engines that are of the same lineage as what you get from your local friendy Five-Star Certified Subaru dealer.

Yes, you can call me a Subaru fanboy. No, I am not ashamed!
smile.gif

It is nice to see a Subaru circle the 'ring so quickly, albeit a heavily built one.
We also like the cars. They tend to grow on you over the years you own and use them.
What happened to the thread title? The original was cute and not really offensive, although someone apparently found it to be.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

What happened to the thread title? The original was cute and not really offensive, although someone apparently found it to be.

Way too much meddling going on. Its heavy handed and offensive in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back