Have you seen increased mpg using MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See if that couple of miles per gallon increase holds over the next 5K or so.
It won't.
A couple of miles per gallon would be huge.

Beat to death in lots of threads.
Some see results like you say, some don't.
I run it in scooters and carbed bikes with slides. It does keep them from being sticky long term
No mileage changes in a 2012 T&C after LOTS of testing.
Poor choice for diesel lubricity also.

The problem is that people suddenly change how they drive the second they start such an experiment and attribute the instant jump in fuel economy to MMO, thicker oil for "better ring seal", a magnet on the fuel line and so on.

Although you may see a change in MPG by some method, there isn't a way to attribute it to the variable of MMO. In real-world driving there are a myriad of variables, most of which you cannot control. A long time ago I linked an article on here about measuring real-world fuel economy and it showed just how difficult that is to accomplish. One thing that was absolutely needed was to use standardized test fuel since they showed that the energy density of gasoline varied up to 4% even at the same gas station. Add that to all the other variables of daily driving and any perceived fuel economy change by any one variable quickly disappears into the noise.

Additive companies know this and they exploit it to their advantage. It's not rocket science to determine in a laboratory whether some additive increases fuel economy or not. There are standardized tests for just this purpose, yet none of the additive companies I've ever seen publish such data in their literature or on their websites. Those tests are not expensive to perform (we did it in a class in college) and the results are repeatable and accurate because they eliminate all variables except the one under test (in this case the additive). Why do you suppose the additive companies never publish this data but instead rely on useless testimonials and "field reports" from users?

Remember, it's not enough just to measure something. You have to be able to attribute it to a specific variable, which in this case is entirely impossible to do in real-world driving whether it is an additive or a change in motor oil.

The biggest reason to use MMO in a gasoline engine is not to increase mileage (it might a tiny bit) but to keep things clean. It makes a HUGE difference in piston aircraft engines when added to the fuel. I like it to help keep intake valves clean. I never add more than recommended dose.

MMO does indeed make a significant mpg difference in diesel engines, at least in IDI engines. I have tested it thoroughly in GM 5.7 and 6.2 Diesels, Ford 6.9 and 7.3 IDI diesels, and others (farm & heavy equipment) and it always increases fuel economy a small amount. I've never done the math to see if the diesel saved was worth the $3.88 a quart that it costs (it definitely at least breaks even). But it really does help mileage and cold dtarting, not sure why.

Quote:
Although you may see a change in MPG by some method, there isn't a way to attribute it to the variable of MMO.

There most certainly is. would For example, using the same fuel and then adding the MMO blindly to random tanks of another driver who is blind to the test. I did that.

I did it for six months on her daily driver (2002 Lexus ES) and observed a 2/2.5 mpg boost overall. She would also comment sometimes, "The car runs better, did you do something?" I oberserved a similar boost in my SUV, though not through blind testing like that. I used 3oz/10gallons in both vehicles.

To be honest, I use it for the cleaning and UCL effect, like Linctex outlined. The MPG boost just means it more than pays for itself. It costs about $.05/gallon to use, and I get about $.25 to $.37 equivalent boost in mpg extensions. It's a no-brainer.

NO WAY
lol.gif

use it all the time in my 64 and 65 , but not in my 14. don't use it for the mpg's but the lube qualities. I also use lead substitute in the classics.
when I was farming with a John Deere A and a ford 8N, we put it in the bulk fuel barrels all the time. Never had any valve problems as the neighbors etc. that never used anything like it did.

No, its useless. My gas mileage varies tank to tank with no additives. Maybe a shot of PEA every now and then but thats about all id put in my gas tank besides gas.

Last edited:
It's a terrible lubricant and an OK cleaner. Any MPG gain is wishful thinking.

Keep your engine maintained using quality synthetic oil and Techron once per oil change.

Forget the snake oils like MMO.

You have to marvel at all the "flat-earthers" who can look at carefully documented evidence and then say, "Nothing to see here, doesn't work, it's in your head and you made it up."

The willingness to stay ignorant instead of accept or at least investigate evidence is always amusing. And very often harmful.

It's interesting how some members here on Bitog resort to personal attacks when disagreements arise rather than sticking to technical arguments.

The one thing that is actually missing from the discussion on whether MMO increases fuel economy is "carefully documented evidence". Unfortunately you have it exactly backwards in your assertion.

This subject (like a couple others on here) illustrate the intense desire to believe regardless of whether actual, carefully documented evidence exists or not. There is an ASTM text for fuel economy effects due to oils or additives. Why do you suppose such test results aren't published for MMO? There is an answer for that and it isn't the usual "because it costs too much" or other obfuscation.

Rants like this aren't helping any. What I posted in my earlier post is exactly correct and if you have any argument that it isn't, I'd like to hear it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
You have to marvel at all the "flat-earthers" who can look at carefully documented evidence and then say, "Nothing to see here, doesn't work, it's in your head and you made it up."

The willingness to stay ignorant instead of accept or at least investigate evidence is always amusing. And very often harmful.

Well the post was asking if you have seen an increase. That means you have tried it and either you believe you saw one or you didn't.

Could there not be an increase in mpg due to the lubrication of the upper cylinders and non sticking compression ring and possibly better sealing. I would think the oil ring would keep oil away from the upper cylinder area.

I like how MMO mixed with Techron "feels" through a tank of gas. BG44K has been the best cleaner I've used, but it's expensive and I've always had to order it. Good for a new-to-you-vehicle, with follow up clean up doses of MMO/Techron.

It's cheap and doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I'll take the positive placebo, even if there's no legitimate data to back it up.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's interesting how some members here on Bitog resort to personal attacks when disagreements arise rather than sticking to technical arguments.

The one thing that is actually missing from the discussion on whether MMO increases fuel economy is "carefully documented evidence". Unfortunately you have it exactly backwards in your assertion.

This subject (like a couple others on here) illustrate the intense desire to believe regardless of whether actual, carefully documented evidence exists or not. There is an ASTM text for fuel economy effects due to oils or additives. Why do you suppose such test results aren't published for MMO? There is an answer for that and it isn't the usual "because it costs too much" or other obfuscation.

Rants like this aren't helping any. What I posted in my earlier post is exactly correct and if you have any argument that it isn't, I'd like to hear it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back