trailer brake controller sticking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently it's been doing this at low speeds. i'll have it set at like 8 and boost at 1 and I'll find that it will go all the way to 4 with just a slight touch of the pedal going like 10mph. I don't get it. It seems to be okay at faster speeds, but it's kind of annoying. Usually it will be at like 1.5-2.0 at low braking speeds.

I wouldn't say that sticking is the correct term, it just applies more than it usually does.

Why does it do this? One thing I noticed is if you change the angle of the controller it will change the amount it brakes just sitting still, so maybe I'm bumping it with my knee when I get in the truck and not realizing it? I think this is when it occurs, then it goes back to normal after a few stops.

Some brake controllers have inertia switches in them and need to be mounted in a certain position.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Recently it's been doing this at low speeds. i'll have it set at like 8 and boost at 1 and I'll find that it will go all the way to 4 with just a slight touch of the pedal going like 10mph. I don't get it. It seems to be okay at faster speeds, but it's kind of annoying. Usually it will be at like 1.5-2.0 at low braking speeds.

try www.etrailer.com

lots of help there

It's a prodigy p3. Maybe I need to secure it better. I may not have used the lock washers that came with it. I can't remember. It stays put as long as you don't bump it

The brakes also lock up in reverse. I got out thinking I backed into something. It feels like I ran into a curb.

My prodigy had a boost type of setting for initial engagement strength. Your P3 has the same and it is set too high. From tekonsha:

5 storable setting options for pulling different trailers or preferences of multiple drivers.
A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
Screen information display in English, French or Spanish.
The Original Boost feature allows for different levels of customized braking.
Compact, dash-hugging design.
Integrated Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.
Snap-in mounting clip allows user to remove and store the control when not in use.
Electric trailer brake control for up to 4 braking axles.
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Last edited:
Go back through the owners manual and installation manual. My prodigy is older, but it should be mounted with out any wiggle or movement. I think the newer ones are not as picky about mounting angle, but check it. I love my podigy and its an 05 model!

It seems to be the boost doing it. I only have it at 1. I set it at 0 and found the brakes didnt really apply much even set at 8. So I don't know. Works great with the boost set at 1 except for it randomly overly applying at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back