Different requirements Taurus V6 and Navigator V8n

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have 2 Ford products that both spec 5W20 - though they are quite different.

I recently inherited a 2014 Ford Taurus SEL 3.5L V6 with 3,300 miles. My Grandmother only drove it about 7 miles to the grocery store and though I don't know exactly how often she had it serviced I suspect it was often.

Add that to my wife's '14 Lincoln Navigator L 5.4 3v V8 with 22k miles.

One uses an Iolm for 7,500 to 10k/1 year OCI while the other has 7,500/6 month OCI.

So is there an oil you'd recommend for both?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Out of warranty, no brainer, move up to a 5 or even 10w30 full synthetic.. I doubt you'll miss the 0.25 mpg hit

Don't understand why I'd want to have higher viscosity on the 'lower' side of the oil rating?

Last edited:
Lots of benefits to 10w-30. I've been running full synthetic 10w-30 for 12 years or so. Lower Noak / More Shear Stable / fewer Vll / most have a higher HTHS number (not all) : Mobil 1 10w-30HM HTHS is 3.5 : Don't fear the bleeper

Lots of benefits to 10w-30.

Most the people on this board are scared to death of 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

10W30 is just soooooo thick!! I use that molasses in my 300ZX. On cool south Texas mornings I make sure to use a block heater to avoid startup wear.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
10W30 is just soooooo thick!! I use that molasses in my 300ZX. On cool south Texas mornings I make sure to use a block heater to avoid startup wear.

Is that the Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 that Gena sent you ? You haven't sent it to Blackstone yet ?

Is that the Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 that Gena sent you ? You haven't sent it to Blackstone yet ?

Man I mailed it off and the [censored] postal service lost it. It never arrived at Blackstone. That's the third time I've had mail get lost. Gena is truly AWESOME!! I now use Pennzoil Platinum in everything.

your joking right? I am in Minnesota and while a block heater might be nice....I am not going to plug that in all winter. You car can survive starting in the cold....lol

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Still under warranty?

Both just out of warranty.

How the heck is a 2014 Taurus with only 3,300 miles out of warranty? It would have come with a 3-year/36,000 mile basic warranty as well as a 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I can see the basic warranty being over depending on the in-service date, but not the powertrain warranty.
49.gif

PS: The Lincoln powertrain warranty should still be good as well. 4-year/50,000 mile basic, 6-year/70,000 mile powertrain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10

your joking right? I am in Minnesota and while a block heater might be nice....I am not going to plug that in all winter. You car can survive starting in the cold....lol

Haha yeah it's just me and merk being goofy. I actually ran M1 15W50 and a ton of 20W50 in my 300ZX when I first got it 16 years ago or so up until recently.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Still under warranty?

Both just out of warranty.

How the heck is a 2014 Taurus with only 3,300 miles out of warranty? It would have come with a 3-year/36,000 mile basic warranty as well as a 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I can see the basic warranty being over depending on the in-service date, but not the powertrain warranty.
49.gif

PS: The Lincoln powertrain warranty should still be good as well. 4-year/50,000 mile basic, 6-year/70,000 mile powertrain.

Yeah, was thinking of the basic not the power train. Guess I should still be following the book.

I'd go with a 5w30 with maybe even a 0w30 in winter. The 5.4 was originally 5w30, and the 3.5 ecoboost is 5w30 so your NA version will have no oiling issues.

Lots of benefits to 10w-30.

Summer? 10w30 no problem!

But in a Kansas winter I'd be scared of 10w30 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back