Joined the cordcutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like many people, got sick and tired of the constant raising of rates and lack of options so I gave Cox TV and phone the boot! I wish they would offer a medium tiered internet selection, but its either 5, 15, 100 (which I have for $83...overpriced IMO), or 300mbps. If they had a 50mbps option for $15 less I'd be all over it. Out the door I was paying $170 for bundled service which included 300mbps internet, total home phone, and 380+ TV channels, of which I watch, at the MOST, 20 of them. This deal was better than what I had before, but was due to go up $30 a month for the next year. NOT happening. Plus, NEW customers would be paying a good amount less then me. Nothing they "could" do. I've heard bad stories about Cox service, but nothing compared to Centurylink. I've always had a good internet connection with Cox. Wasn't going to risk the (ONLY!) alternative.

I bought an Ooma so that will eventually pay off since the monthly cost is around $4. I hooked up my antenna for TV in the mean time (gotta trouble shoot that since the TV isn't recognizing the antenna). At the moment, I am thinking about Nvidia Shield TV and getting Playstation Vue. Still haven't decided yet. It seems to be the most versatile and can be updated (I think) with newer apps. Plex and Kodi looks attractive.

Since as of right now my bill just went down ~$88, I might just watch OTA TV for a while and surf...make up for future costs. We'll see.

I will be doing it in a few months when I move to an apartment. I have 75mb internet and so many channels I don't watch for 130 I think right now. I learned I don't need 75mb internet , and I don't want more then maybe 10 channels. I have a ps4 already so I'll prob get Vue and keep netflix. Then comcast has 10mb internet by itself for 25$ at the apartment So that's the route ill be going I should save 80+- as well. 10Mb is plenty for one person. Either just web surfing or streaming a show or movie.

Congrats on the saving !

Last edited:
I did the same thing last year. I added some number and estimated I paid 12,000 in ten years for Direct TV alone. The numbers bother me. Now I just go to Darewatch . HBO Showtime free, Game of Thrones all of it for free......

Respectfully,

Pajero

This activity is becoming so popular that cable and satellite companies are taking notice. Unless they completely restructure their business models their days of dominance are numbered.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This activity is becoming so popular that cable and satellite companies are taking notice. Unless they completely restructure their business models their days of dominance are numbered.

Echo sentiment!

Respectfully,

Pajero

I still think that's the reason Time Warner dumped their cable & internet business on Charter/Spectrum-and they're hemorrhaging customers to Fioptics as fast as Cinti. Bell can build out their FIOS system.

I think I saw an article a couple days ago stating that the number of cord cutters was higher than forecasted. Considering the packages that are offered to their customers, it really seems like they have their heads in the sand...literally NO clue! I don't NEED 380 channels. I don't NEED 300mbps internet.

Just wait until you can start live streaming NFL games, I bet the numbers will deplete at even higher rates.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I still think that's the reason Time Warner dumped their cable & internet business on Charter/Spectrum-and they're hemorrhaging customers to Fioptics as fast as Cinti. Bell can build out their FIOS system.
Spectrum won't stop sending me their mailers. Sorry Charlie, I'm with Cincinnasti Bell.

I started out with a TV/internet bundle to get the lower installation cost of $40 versus $85 for installing the internet by itself; then I called and cancelled the TV. The TV was only an extra $7 a month but I figured why pay for it if I'm not going to use it anyway.

New FireTV box and new Firestik coming. Amazon leaked it the day Apple announced their new streamer.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Just wait until you can start live streaming NFL games, I bet the numbers will deplete at even higher rates.

NFL Sunday Ticket and now DAZN (own the rights to NFL as of this season) has been available to online cord cutters in Canada for quite some time now. No blackout games either.

I very much doubt that will happen in the US for quite some time though; it would require a complete restructuring of the business model (OTA and Cable pays the entire payroll of NFL teams). Until you can come up with a scheme that adds nearly $200 million per team in rights revenue, it will stay that way. Since Sports programming is pretty much the only thing keeping *everyone* from cord-cutting, expect the vested interests to keep the status quo.

My internet is $70/month, for 75mbps. Lost the internet during the hurricane, so while on generator power, I simply tethered my iPhone to my PC. Ya know what, using the phone was actually faster in real world loading speeds. Only the latency was a touch slower, but so what, I don't care about that second. I care about the 15 second page load time with cable internet.

I guess I could simply use the phone for internet and cut cable and direct tv. The local over the air digital stations have plenty of programming and channels. It infuriates me that I pay $200/month to DTV to watch commercials.

Last edited:

You CAN do it now! Amazon Prime members can free stream all the NFL games on the NBC Sports app on the FireTV/ Stick.

I know they're all not there, but it's a start.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

You CAN do it now! Amazon Prime members can free stream all the NFL games on the NBC Sports app on the FireTV/ Stick.

I know they're all not there, but it's a start.

Ummmm ... correct me if I am wrong but anyone can download the free NBC Sports APP and free stream. I think its Amazon making people think they are getting something through them that is already free to anyone and everyone in the world.

Click here for NBC app information

Last edited:

ESPN is available to stream, you will pay for it though, $20. a month for a slew of popular cable stations including ESPN through Sling TV.

With that said, the NFL (all sports) will take notice as people cut the cord and they maybe forced to stop raping the public or just keep losing viewer ship.
Its just a stupid ball game but people give away the cost of a kids college tuition to pay for it.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people complain about the cost of a service but still pay for it anyway, its the only reason the cost is what it is, people pay, if they didnt pay it wouldnt cost.

Last edited:
TV is just a lot of [censored]!!! i do like football when the Pa weather gets wintery, summers its off, DTV now charges $5 monthly for shut off time, cancelled them this time + went to dish's $49.95 deal for 2 yrs with similar DTV it was $90!! like velocity that was xtra on DTV. i was close to not even getting any TV, + i feel a station by station charge would be better. most [censored] i NEVER watch prolly pays to get their junk on air!!! i would not do without internet though as i shop + buy a lot via mail, theres lots to learn there as well!!

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I, like many people, got sick and tired of the constant raising of rates and lack of options so I gave Cox TV and phone the boot! I wish they would offer a medium tiered internet selection, but its either 5, 15, 100 (which I have for $83...overpriced IMO), or 300mbps. If they had a 50mbps option for $15 less I'd be all over it. Out the door I was paying $170 for bundled service which included 300mbps internet, total home phone, and 380+ TV channels, of which I watch, at the MOST, 20 of them. This deal was better than what I had before, but was due to go up $30 a month for the next year. NOT happening. Plus, NEW customers would be paying a good amount less then me. Nothing they "could" do. I've heard bad stories about Cox service, but nothing compared to Centurylink. I've always had a good internet connection with Cox. Wasn't going to risk the (ONLY!) alternative.

I bought an Ooma so that will eventually pay off since the monthly cost is around $4. I hooked up my antenna for TV in the mean time (gotta trouble shoot that since the TV isn't recognizing the antenna). At the moment, I am thinking about Nvidia Shield TV and getting Playstation Vue. Still haven't decided yet. It seems to be the most versatile and can be updated (I think) with newer apps. Plex and Kodi looks attractive.

Since as of right now my bill just went down ~$88, I might just watch OTA TV for a while and surf...make up for future costs. We'll see.

We cut the cord around 2010 and never looked back.
If this helps anyone this is what we did. We are about 40 miles (line of sight) from all major TV stations. IN all we get around 25 channels over the air. All Major stations have a better HD picture then pay TV.

1. These sites will tell you EXACTLY which way your antenna needs to face using a compass and the local towers around you.
Click here and go through the various sites.

2. Back in 2010 I wanted to get started right away I purchased this antenna from our local LOWES however Channel Master has a similar size, good for about 50 miles if mounted in an attic.
This is the antenna I used, click

I put this antenna in my sons attic, he ...ext door, click

3. If any channels comes in less then perfect, I installed this in my house, as I feed 6 rooms worth of cable, its cheap, it works, ignore any negative reviews, this is just to give a slight boast to your signal, its not some magic box that pulls signals in out of thin air.
Click here

4. This was our ALL TIME FAVORITE DEVICE, unbelievable. Channel Master DVR+, it works EXACTLY like your pay TV box, it records your favorite shows and can even select to record only new episodes etc, etc, your channel surf just like you do with pay tv only you of course are limited to your over the air/antenna stations, it keeps the program information current through your homes WIFI connection. Also can view youtube etc, etc if you wish, rent movies ya da ya da.
Click Here for DVR+ info

5. Ooma is a FANTASTIC home landline service, correct as the OP posted, we pay $4. a month in tax, that is it, Click here

6. Other things we elect to pay for, Hulu+ through our Roku Players ($8 permonth)
Netflex ($9 per month)

With all the above we still have WAY TOO MUCH TV and I personally think Netflex is a waste as we rent RED Box movie once a week but, I guess we need a little waste in our lives ... :eek:)

Last edited:
PS !

Im shocked at some of the internet rates you pay. You need to shop around high and low on the internet for better rates and call your current company, yell at them, tell them you want a better price.

First so everyone understands you can get along fine on 15 MBPS, we did for years.
We just recently upgraded our service, not because we needed it but the company my wife works for has her now working from home with her own router with a VPN (and phone) hooked into our router and wanted to have her get 100 MBPS service.
They are paying our internet however 100 MBPS service is only $54.95 in our area through Spectrum.

We do own our own equipment and that is why the 54.95 a month.
We use TP LINK Cable Modem and separate TP link AC 1750 router both rock solid devices, never a reset needed.
We do now have my wifes office router and equipment plugged into our home equipment, everything works perfect. (see ferrite filters at the end of this post)

I also have at least one of these and in most cases two of these on EVERYTHING connected to the internet in our home, every electronic, EVERYTHING. They do make a difference and my bet is if you used them, like we do, jsut are you would get faster then advertised internet speed as we do, but can not confirm your case will be the same.

Last edited:
Time/Warner (Spectrum) is the only game in town excepting Dish and other satellite providers. I'm looking at a way to say adios but haven't found a way as wife likes some of the TV lineup. @*&^^%%$@^*&^%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back