Need a new 1/2 In impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the earthquake impact from harbor frieght. I use it at work since its all I have right now. I know it's supposed to be very strong but we have a guy at work who owns a 30 year old ir and yesterday I had some lug nuts on an f150 that wouldn't come off his hit for about 6 seconds on each and they came off. I know the earthquake is made for a pro mechanic so I need suggestions on what to buy for a decent price. My last ir was reliable but wasn't very strong I want strong and durable.

Which Earthquake is it? Is it their $249 lithium ion 1/2" impact with 1270 rated lbs? I got one recently to use and then return (risk free trial or something) and it devastated every bolt and axle nut I needed removed.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Sorry should have specified it is an impact I'm looking for

an what impact? an AIR impact?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Sorry should have specified it is an impact I'm looking for

an what impact? an AIR impact?

Yes sorry I typed air and and it edited it I didn't catch it. Darn smart phones.

I would highly suggest looking at the MAC awp050. It has great power and amazing ergonomics. Will remove any fastener a high end 1/2 impact can expect to remove. The comfort and weight distribution of this gun is without a doubt the best on the market. I have had a coworker use mine and an hour later trade in a MG725 for it. PROTO also makes another version of it , geared more towards industrial usage. Second choice for a pneumatic wrench would be an IR231, nothing fancy about them. Their just very good all around guns. If you are interested in cordless , I find my Milwaukee fuel to be the best overall in its class. Great power , good battery life and hands down best warranty on the market.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I have had a coworker use mine and an hour later trade in a MG725 for it.

Did the MAC truck just so happen to come by on the same day that your coworker borrowed yours ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I have had a coworker use mine and an hour later trade in a MG725 for it.

Did the MAC truck just so happen to come by on the same day that your coworker borrowed yours ?

Yeah , we all got a good laugh out of it. The MAC truck showed up as he was done using the impact . He was raving how much he liked it , and the truck appeared. He got a good deal on his new impact and my MAC guy gave me a cover for mine for"making" him a nice sale . Win if you ask me .

I would highly suggest looking at the MAC awp050.

I would second this. I LOVE my AWP050, it replaced the SK that I bought in college (and also loved, this was before SK went to...)

I recently purchased the Mac AWP050M, which is the mini version of the original. I work full time in a busy shop and own absolutely zero battery-powered tools. In the past 2 months since I bought the mini, I've only had to grab the big brother 3 times. Once for a Honda crank pulley bolt, once for a subframe bolt that ended up needing a huge breaker bar, and once for an extremely rusty axle nut. Besides that, the mini has handled absolutely EVERYTHING. It even fits between the radiator and crank pulley on Subaru's! No more using the breaker bar-and-starter trick. There's 4 tech's in my shop, and as of this week every one of us has purchased the mini. I guess I started a trend.

As an added bonus, I noticed an IMMEDIATE reduction in hand fatigue due to the even better balance and lighter weight of the "M" vs. the full size. At $299.99 with a 2 year warranty, it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
Why [censored] your money away on labels..... Harbor Freight Tools had a hard time keeping their top of the line 1/2 and 3/4 impacts in stock because pro mechanics from all the big shops were buy them after winning the shoot out tests. The manager at my local store had a group of Lexus and Porsche mechanics come in in their uniforms wanting to buy these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back