Royal Purple Duralec 15W-40 Synthetic for Merc 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I have been lurking for a longtime and learned about the benefits of HDEO from this site. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or thoughts about using Royal Purple Duralec 15W-40 Synthetic in my 2005 Mercruiser 6.2 MPI? I ask because it is available near my marina at a decent price in gallon jugs. I have not heard much about RP anywhere. Let her rip ....

Originally Posted By: watchthis
Hey folks, I have been lurking for a longtime and learned about the benefits of HDEO from this site. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or thoughts about using Royal Purple Duralec 15W-40 Synthetic in my 2005 Mercruiser 6.2 MPI? I ask because it is available near my marina at a decent price in gallon jugs. I have not heard much about RP anywhere. Let her rip ....

RP gets hate here because their mainstream API gas engine oil is not any better than say Valvoline SynPower at a higher price... however their specialty oils are top-notch and price competitive. If the price is reasonable on that Duralec oil I would not hesitate to run that oil in your application.

Thanks for the reply. It is $25 per gallon, and available near my rural marina. It seemed that if I could get a decent full HDEO synthetic for $6.25 per quart close by, it could be a good option.

I've been using Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 in my Mercruiser 350 Magnum, it's not full synthetic, but it's usually sub $10/gallon after rebate. Wouldn't hurt to try both with UOA to see how much better the RP is (if any).

For the cost of a UOA buy 2-3 jugs of Delvac ... good choice for that motor ...

Changed my little F60LA 4 stroke today … yearly change but very low hours …
Royal Purple HPM 10w30 in/out … kept Denso filter on …

When I drained it you could smell gasoline in the oil …
The oil looked dark brown … but the iPhone made it Royal again somehow:

Drained the RP HPM 10w30 today … this oil has been discontinued
Filled with Pennzoil Marine 10w30 … FCW product …

Last edited:
I would just run a 15W-40 hdeo or a 20w-50 and let the guilt make you change the oil more often. Marine use is brutal on engines.

That PYB marine oil was $5/quart and only takes two ...
Very small low hours motor ... 10w30 works fine for how I run the motor ... 5K to get on plane and 4K after that ... Its just on a small skiff and only fish shallow water ... Short runs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back