Direct shift/Dual Clutch fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have two new Volkswagen's that have DSG transmissions. With the 40k service interval and fluid prices and types all over the map I'm wondering? I want maximum transmission life. Any thoughts?

The drivetrain/tranny warranty is 60k, so VW probably is content that their mineral based spec oil is good enough for the warranty life. I on the other hand would just as soon get 100-200k out of the tranny without having to fork over the big money for a new one too soon.

I'm not knowledgeable on VW's DSG transmissions but if in doubt OEM is a good safe choice.

I know hyundai for example tests the ATF for markers(to determine if its oem fluid) before doing any transmission repairs.

Amalie has the best price on DCT fluid. $76.29 for a case of 12
smile.gif

40,000 mile interval according to the maintenance manual with the cars. That's close to 60,000 kilometers I suppose. I will endeavor to be clearer on mileage in future posts.

Any advantage for longevity using a synthetic over a mineral based fluid?

Originally Posted By: sloinker
40,000 mile interval according to the maintenance manual with the cars. That's close to 60,000 kilometers I suppose. I will endeavor to be clearer on mileage in future posts.

Synthetic will probably last longer than a mineral/dino fluid, but I'd still change it at least the recommended 40k, if not more often. DCT tech is still not mature yet, and especially the way they act in regular daily driving in the city, even with brand new fluid.

My suggestion would be to change it at the recommended 40k while under warranty, then annually once the warranty is up. Especially since Amalie DCT fluid is a good price
smile.gif

The drivetrain/tranny warranty is 60k, so VW probably is content that their mineral based spec oil is good enough for the warranty life. I on the other hand would just as soon get 100-200k out of the tranny without having to fork over the big money for a new one too soon.

Why do you assume it's mineral based?
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_FFL-2.pdf

OP, go to ECS tuning for a wide variety of VW parts and an array of different DSG fluids: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-2.0T_Gen3_GLI/Drivetrain/DSG_Transmission/Fluid/

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Synthetic will probably last longer than a mineral/dino fluid, but I'd still change it at least the recommended 40k, if not more often. DCT tech is still not mature yet, and especially the way they act in regular daily driving in the city, even with brand new fluid.

My suggestion would be to change it at the recommended 40k while under warranty, then annually once the warranty is up. Especially since Amalie DCT fluid is a good price
smile.gif

People shouldn't expect such a transmission to act like a conventional automatic with a torque converter.

Factory fluid and filters and at factory 40k intervals will see your DSG last a long time.

The only times I ever really saw issues with them was when fluid changes were neglected.

Ive always done my own DSG service its not hard. I use the drain/measure/replace method instead of the torturous fill from the bottom factory method.

while researching tranny fluids i found out most OE are "synthetic" but the cheaper group III type, actually its just a thinner petroleum product with different additives. most drain + refill changes prolly get 1/3 to 1/2 the fluid so change early + often as trannys especially DSG's are very $$$$!!! i am a 3 pedal guy, no manual trans = no sale to me!!!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Why do you assume it's mineral based?

OP, go to ECS tuning for a wide variety of VW parts and an array of different DSG fluids: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-2.0T_Gen3_GLI/Drivetrain/DSG_Transmission/Fluid/

Seems to me I found somewhere that the OE fluid is a blend.
Pentosin among others seems like a good choice except where it says not to mix with non-synthetics.
If the OE oil is a blend will it be ok to change to Pentosin knowing there is a percentage of the original oil left after draining?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Factory fluid and filters and at factory 40k intervals will see your DSG last a long time.

The only times I ever really saw issues with them was when fluid changes were neglected.

^^^This

Has anybody tried the Red Line fluid? Any advantages or dis-advantages with this oil in DSG's? Is an 70% PAO/Ester based lubricant an advantage in a gearbox versus PAO/Class 3/Class 2 oil combination?

Has anybody tried the Red Line fluid? Any advantages or dis-advantages with this oil in DSG's? Is an 70% PAO/Ester based lubricant an advantage in a gearbox versus PAO/Class 3/Class 2 oil combination?

If Redline will replace your DSG in the event of a failure, give them a try.

OEM oil, OEM filter, OEM interval. Everything else is an experiment. I would MAYBE use the Motul fluid; Motul tends to formulate oils similar to OE instead of trying to make a better mousetrap.

I changed the DSG fluid and filter in mine at 40k miles per manual. I bought a kit off Amazon from a VW dealer for around $130 or so. I did the work myself with the help of a mechanic friend (has a full garage with lift at his house) and it wasn't bad. If you take it to a dealer you'll probably pay around $350, DIY and you'll save a couple hundred. I always recommend people use the fluid from VW/Audi, but there are online sources that I trust as well for different brands (Motul, Liqui Moly, etc.) but they can cost a little more. For me, it was worth peace of mind to go with the spec fluid from VW (75w90).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back