Bleeding ABS unit - Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I pushed some air into my ABS unit. At least I am hoping that is the problem.

I've changed pads, and replaced the fluid, but the pedal is still soft. I'm going to relube the caliper pins and bleed again this weekend.

The manual says ABS bleed is a dealer only process - apparently it requires a scan tool to activate the system and push the air out of the unit and into the brake lines. (My interpretation).

Will some hard stops bleed the unit by activating the system? Anyone tried it?

Not sure if this is even related, but I had a hard time with a Hyundai Santa Fe brake job and I bled them diagonally and that ended up fixing it. Also, another thing that drove me nuts was the pads took a long time to 'feel right".

Once you've messed up and gotten air into a ABS system it is difficult to get the air out with out the recycling tool. A brake shop should be able to do this. Trying to clear the system of air by abusing the brake system with multiple panic stops would prove frutal I think. Ed

Had the same problem with my wife's 2009 Ford Flex. One of the rear calipers developed a leak and I was not aware until my oldest son told me after he drove for 2.5 hours round trip to a concert...the BF reservoir got low enough to get air in ABS system.

2 attempts by me with my Motive Bleeder, no luck. Tried the redneck way of activating the ABS system on gravel roads, still no luck.
Took it to Ford dealer, spent the money and they activate ABS circuits by OBDII portal and all was good. Lighter wallet, but hard brake pedal.

Originally Posted By: Chester11

Will some hard stops bleed the unit by activating the system? Anyone tried it?

Depends on the system - you just described how I had to bleed a friend's Tahoe with the Kelsey-Hayes ABS system.

You can try a few hard stops to trigger the ABS and then bleed. A pressure bleeder does help with ABS. Have you tried topping off the MC and cracking the line fittings at the modulator to get fluid moving in that direction and then bleeding at the wheels?

Originally Posted By: nthach

You can try a few hard stops to trigger the ABS and then bleed. A pressure bleeder does help with ABS. Have you tried topping off the MC and cracking the line fittings at the modulator to get fluid moving in that direction and then bleeding at the wheels?

Not tried this - the lines looked pretty small and was afraid to break them, or introduce more air into the system.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Find some wet grass, and let it grind to a halt a few times between bleeds.

Fully agree with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back