What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am wondering if I should use High Mileage Synthetic Blend oil in my car. The car has been used on regular oil until now. Details below.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - Subaru Forester LL Bean 2006 / 181.000 miles
2. What your owner's manual says -- 5w-30 regular, or synthetic.
3. Where you live - Illinois, United States
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - easy, not too fast
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - mostly long trips (around 3hrs), very little in city.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - it has a little bit of an oil leak, most probably due to a worn seal. Other than that is fine. I was thinking to put a synthetic blend, but I've been warmed it may cause the leak to expand. I was thinking also of a High Mileage version, due to the age of the car.

Thanks!

NAPA has the Synthetic on sale right now for 3.49 a quart if you buy a case. Its the same as Valvoline full Synthetic and that's a pretty cheap OIC.

I put Valvoline Maxlife in most engines - don't even bother with VWB most of the time. With an interval of roughly what the mfgr. recommends it should keep the engine together long past the failure of components due to factors other than lubrication. Worry not about making the leaks worse - I've changed dozens and dozens and have not seen that happen yet.

Magnatec Synthetic Blend is the Best.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't know exactly, it's in the front under the driver's seat it seems. My mechanic says that he needs to degrease the engine, and under the car, and then see where it comes from. It's not a big leak, and sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. In a month, I need only once to top it (I keep a 1 quart bottle in the trunk).

The thing is, some mechanics (including mine), suggested not to use synthetic because they say, it may clean up the sludge that built up inside, uncovering the leak spot even more. And some mechanics also said that in that high mileage engine, using synthetic may cause it to burn the oil.

I was just thinking to use a High Mileage synthetic blend (not full synthetic). What is your experience with synthetic oil in an old car that has been used all its life on regular oil?

That it has to be pretty darn sludgy for those mechanics' theories to be true. I doubt your engine is that bad, and if it is, shame on you. Not even considering the HM additives that counteract any removing of deposits that would open up leaks.

I just bought the car 2 months ago, and I drove it about 2000 miles. The next oil change is coming soon, probably in a week-two, since I am driving about 500-600 miles per week. I don't believe the engine is that dirty inside, because it performs and sounds very snappy. Actually it is really really silent and smooth, about the same as my gf's 2016 Kia Rio with only 16k miles.

But then again, I want to keep the car for as long as possible and most mechanics seem to agree to just keep it on regular oil if it doesn't do any harm and if performs well with it. I just wanted to see what other people recommend and what has been working for their cars. I'll probably try synthetic blend on the next oil change, and see how it goes.

Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 synblend in the red bottle. A great HM oil that offers everything you want.

Clearing up sludge is good for your although oil consumption may increase. Unless you don't top it up oil consumption won't kill your engine, but sludge will definitively will.

For all of you who voted for Valvoline's Max life syn blend - what do you think about Castrol's HM syn blend (green bottle), compared to Valvoline's? I found it near me at a discount, but both normally have the exact price (at least at the Autozone near me).

Thank you all for suggestions!

Originally Posted By: NicaNica
Hi guys,

I am wondering if I should use High Mileage Synthetic Blend oil in my car. The car has been used on regular oil until now. Details below.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - Subaru Forester LL Bean 2006 / 181.000 miles
2. What your owner's manual says -- 5w-30 regular, or synthetic.
3. Where you live - Illinois, United States
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - easy, not too fast
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - mostly long trips (around 3hrs), very little in city.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - it has a little bit of an oil leak, most probably due to a worn seal. Other than that is fine. I was thinking to put a synthetic blend, but I've been warmed it may cause the leak to expand. I was thinking also of a High Mileage version, due to the age of the car.

Thanks!

I would run one of the thicker 30s in that boxer motor. M1 HM 10w-30 is a favorite, or the M1 FS 0w40 if you're concerned with cold cranking.

Mobil is running rebates through end of month. $12 off a 5 qt jug

Originally Posted By: NicaNica
For all of you who voted for Valvoline's Max life syn blend - what do you think about Castrol's HM syn blend (green bottle), compared to Valvoline's? I found it near me at a discount, but both normally have the exact price (at least at the Autozone near me).

Thank you all for suggestions!

I would have no problem using Castrol HM synblend. Castrol is usually thick for grade, which I like.

BTW if you are doing two oil changes per year, then 5W30 for winter and 10W30 for summer is the way to go.

Yeah I will put 5w30 for now and 10w30 when it gets hotter. But I think I will stik with 3000 miles oil changes, even with a synthetic blend.

I believe the LL Bean editions call for a class V 100% Ester based (plant derived) oil. Burning man edition : same spec but requires a hemp additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back