First time Motorcraft filter user.. Your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my first MC filter. Usually a Purolator or Fram user.
What are your thoughts on build quality, filtering etc compared to other filters?

Made by Purolator. If you were happy with Purolator before, you should be equally satisfied with the Motorcraft version.

MC is Purolator. better than Fram but the FL820S (probably what your MGM uses) is known for tearing filter media and thus is not a great choice over longer OCIs. Fram sucks so... try Wix
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
MC is Purolator. better than Fram but the FL820S (probably what your MGM uses) is known for tearing filter media and thus is not a great choice over longer OCIs. Fram sucks so... try Wix
smile.gif

35.gif

But really, I've used motorcraft filters on every ford I've ever owned or worked on. None have had any issues. Using them for their rated service life and you should be OK.

Never had a issue with Motorcraft oil filters.
Used alot of 820s but then I am not cutting every filter apart dissecting looking for any issues either.
Used to be a Purolator user but the small oil inlet perforation slots have turned me off. I am using Fram now.
Fram has really straightened out thier act and filter quality. Fram had issues but has taken corrective action.
I would rate thier Fram Ultra the absolute best oil filter out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Never had a issue with Motorcraft oil filters.
Used alot of 820s but then I am not cutting every filter apart dissecting looking for any issues either.
Used to be a Purolator user but the small oil inlet perforation slots have turned me off. I am using Fram now.
Fram has really straightened out thier act and filter quality. Fram had issues but has taken corrective action.
I would rate thier Fram Ultra the absolute best oil filter out there.

Most of the MC filters except for the FL-1A have slits now

smile.gif

Fram's media doesn't tear, or have cuts in the ADBV. And their lowest tier filter has better efficiency than most filters. Thier Ultra pretty much ranks #1 on this site.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
smile.gif

Fram's media doesn't tear, or have cuts in the ADBV. And their lowest tier filter has better efficiency than most filters. Thier Ultra pretty much ranks #1 on this site.
Agreed; and on a cost basis versus quality of construction, I would say the Ultra is the number one filter period. I have yet to find another mainstream filter that costs the same or less, is readily available, has the same feature set, and quality of construction.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Agreed; and on a cost basis versus quality of construction, I would say the Ultra is the number one filter period. I have yet to find another mainstream filter that costs the same or less, is readily available, has the same feature set, and quality of construction.

This. Totally this. There really is no reason not to use one.

When I use Motorcraft filters my MPGs increase about 22%, the car starts quicker and the tries seem to last longer.

Originally Posted By: CT8
When I use Motorcraft filters my MPGs increase about 22%, the car starts quicker and the tries seem to last longer.

It will do that....when there's no filter media to get through.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Except the Ultra is about 3 times the cost of the MC isn't it?

Nope, double. Amazon has my MC FL-500 at $6 right now, but I've seen it as low as $4.50. The comparable Ultra is $8.50. Prices I guess will vary by model.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Same here...AND hair is growing back on the top of my bald head when using MC.
grin.gif

I've used the FL-910S and FL-400S on my parents Ford Focus and old Pontiac Vibe with no issues - OCIs ranging from 5K to 7K miles.
Used the FL-500S on my MILs GMC Acadia for 5K miles with no issues as well.
Even though they're made by Purolator , I've had no issues with tears .
I like them and will continue to use them .

Despite Puro's issues I was still using my favorite Motorcrafts without issue for quite a while since most of Puro's problems did not seem to be carrying over. Then Puro tinkered with them and most or all have louvers now...which Puro can't always seem to get open and it is very hard to tell in the store. So I am done.

I do longer OCI's now anyway so my favorite the Tough Guard is pretty much getting all the duty.

What is this issue with the Purolator? Any chance someone has a photo?

I have never heard this is a problem with any MC Powerstroke oil filter.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back