'09 Impala with steering shuddder /noise, lo speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Just got some weird noise, shudder, clunking & shimmy in low speed 90 degree turns only, like into a parking space!

Car is '09 Impala 3.5L V6 140,000 miles (227,000 Kms)

Just checked:

- PS fluid OK level, no foaming, no leaks (not flushed)
- Serpentine Belt looks good, tight, no cracks
- Tire pressures OK
- Lug nuts OK
- no loose Tie rods (jacked up to check)
- no other loose suspension parts " "
- no wheel bearing noise

any ideas guys? searched for similar posts, found nothing.....

Thanks!

When you had it jacked up, did you rock the tires hard to check the bearings? Another possibility is the 1/2 shaft. I had an Audi that presented that way. It's one side only, correct? Because if it's both, then that's different (steering).

Tires, struts - at full lock, you have a lot of caster jacked in which puts more pressure on various parts and likely the tire sidewall as well. Does this happen equally going right and left? I would say the "turn in" side would be more stressed. You can try varying tire pressure to see if it gets better or worse - try it at 20lbs and then at 40lbs. Maybe that will give a clue. I know belts going bad in tires can cause all kinds of problems and have you chasing the wrong thing.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
what are the condition of the tires?

Thanks, Tires are good at 60% thread, rebalanced 18 months ago. no lumps or bumps, pressure at 32PSI

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
When you had it jacked up, did you rock the tires hard to check the bearings? Another possibility is the 1/2 shaft. I had an Audi that presented that way. It's one side only, correct? Because if it's both, then that's different (steering).

Thanks, I lifted each side one at a time and rocked the tire top to bottom, then left to right.

Top to bottom had a little clicking, I'd don't recall having before, left to right was solid, new tie rod ends 2 yrs ago.

Turing the wheel had some play, didn't seem more then before.

I'll try lifting both sides and see overall CV play and everything all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back