Automatic fluid SP III Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I own an accent 2006 Automatic and was wondering about the best Automatic fluid i should use with Specs SP III and i found alot of fluid with the right specs but i compared alot of fluids and found that some fluids viscosity are 6 cst at 100 Celsius and some are at 7 at 100 Celsius, so I was wondering if i chose the 6 Cst at 100 Celsius will i have a better fuel economy and the same protection from friction?

I have a Montero with the same application. OEM ATF has specific friction modifiers necessary. I'm currently using Amsoil ATF, which is outstanding. It's rather expensive. *Note, ATF 3 is not the same as SP3. Mitsu Stealer told me that Valvoline makes SP3 ATF in States. You can get some excellent prices for dealer ATF on internet. Good luck with your endeavor.

Respectfully,

Pajero

Originally Posted By: bahnas
Hello, I own an accent 2006 Automatic and was wondering about the best Automatic fluid i should use with Specs SP III and i found alot of fluid with the right specs but i compared alot of fluids and found that some fluids viscosity are 6 cst at 100 Celsius and some are at 7 at 100 Celsius, so I was wondering if i chose the 6 Cst at 100 Celsius will i have a better fuel economy and the same protection from friction?

In the United States, there are a lot of choices that, according to manufacturers/retailers, will work for SP-III. Other than Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi branded OEM products there are Beck Arnley, Idemitsu, Valvoline, Castrol, Red Line, etc fluids. Not sure what is available where you live.

I've used Hyundai OEM fluid as well as Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle full synthetic fluid (blue bottle) in 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 5-speed automatic. The Valvoline fluid meets these specs based on a product data sheet: Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications; Hyundai/KIA SP-II and SP-III applications. I posted two analysis reports in the UOA section of the forum: 1) used OEM sample, 2) used mixed OEM/Valvoline sample. In both cases, viscosity was about 7 cSt at 100 degrees C.

Based on a 2017 PDS, Valvoline MaxLife available for sale in the US is of lower viscosity than Valvoline Import but I haven't heard complaints about it performing worse than fluids with higher viscosity. According to manufacturer it meets Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP4-M, SP-IV-RR among many other specs.

Last edited:
I'm running MaxLife in two 2014 Kias with great results. MaxLife p/n 773775, it's SPIII compatible. If you didn't change ATF on regular basis - do drain and fill.

Since 2013, Hyundai/Kia has a new full synthetic ATF called the SP4-M to be used on all their 6-speed trannies. It's pretty cheap at the dealership at ~$9 a bottle. Given our 10years/100K mile power train warranty, I'd recommend just using it (keep your receipts) and doing the OEM method of drain and fill every 30K miles or so. Pretty cheap insurance in my book. You'll only need ~6 quarts.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Since 2013, Hyundai/Kia has a new full synthetic ATF called the SP4-M to be used on all their 6-speed trannies. It's pretty cheap at the dealership at ~$9 a bottle. Given our 10years/100K mile power train warranty, I'd recommend just using it (keep your receipts) and doing the OEM method of drain and fill every 30K miles or so. Pretty cheap insurance in my book. You'll only need ~6 quarts.

+1

Here is what I got listed in my 2014 Kia manuals (Forte and Sportage, both have 6-sp autos):

Automatic transaxle fluid
7.1 l
(7.5 US qt.)
MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV
NOCA ATF SP-IV, Kia genuine ATF SP-IV

no mentioning of SP4-M.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
Here is what I got listed in my 2014 Kia manuals (Forte and Sportage, both have 6-sp autos):

Automatic transaxle fluid
7.1 l
(7.5 US qt.)
MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV
NOCA ATF SP-IV, Kia genuine ATF SP-IV

no mentioning of SP4-M.

According to this SP4-M replaces SP-IV.

Back to the original question of the thread it does seem many are using the Valvoline Maxlife Syn ATF and a few others in the 6 CST range successfully although I have no personal experience doing so. When I maintained two different vehicles that required SP III ATF I used Valvoline IMPORT Multi and Eneos SP3 (You can usually get the Eneos at Napa) and both worked with no problems but I think both of those are in the 7 CST range.

I've been doing 30K drains/fills on my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe using Genuine Hyundai SPIII from the dealer. It is relatively inexpensive so I've never been motivated to switch. I have 14 years and over 200K miles on the Santa Fe now and have no issues with the transmission. I think SPIII is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back