Extech Ex330 a good multimeter for under $60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone own this meter or similar? I know fluke is the brand to buy but it isn't to my budget. Just looking for a good reliable for general use. Nothing high voltage or anything like that. Occasional use(mostly automotive)

I don't have one, but I have heard good things about Extech as a good value meter.

Kind of off topic, but if you're willing to go used, I've purchased used Flukes in very good condition at pawn shops. My best score was a Fluke 179 for like, $60 and an almost brand new 77-IV for $50ish.

I have an Extech 330. Non contact voltage function works very good. Mine has been working very good for about a year now.

I just bought an Actron CP7677, and it has dwell and RPM functions that I needed to work on some of my old cars. Really cheap on Amazon right now at $20.09 shipped. It's not autoranging like the the Extech is. In my limited testing, AC/DC voltage and resistance testing is pretty much spot on with the Extech. You will need to buy a 9V battery because it does not come with a battery. Surprisingly, it has a ceramic fuse for the 10 amp. Glass fuse on the 200 mA.

Actron CP7677 Automotive TroubleShooter - Digital Multimeter and Engine Analyzer

For many people the HF ones above $20 are fine. I have one of the HF upper end ones and it can measure frequency which is nice to see generator is putting out 60 Hz and capacitor to check for a blown one in well pump or generator.

The need for more expensive ones comes as the skill level rises.

Other features would be clamp-on ammeter AC to determine load prior to buying generator and DC to measure draw of starter. Peak hold is needed for those measurements typically.

Lastly a 4 wire ohmmeter is needed to measure resistance below 1 oh as the resistance of the leads comes into play.

Having a few is good. I usually have one in my boat.

Just don't use it on high voltage circuits and you should be OK. In fact you could probably use a much less expensive meter if that limitation is OK with you. Many offshore brand meters don't meet safety specs for 600V or 1000V use, even if they claim to be. You need to tear them down and check the construction to know for sure, assuming you know what to look for.

Extech and Uni-T are often the same meter with a different name on it.

Realize that a proper set of test leads is often the most expensive part of a meter kit; cheap asian units use copper clad aluminum in a rubber or silicone jacket, which is completely unsuitable.

SPERRY makes a decent inexpensive meter that does meet safety specs; you can buy them at Home Depot, etc. Like the FLUKE meters in the budget range, they are made offshore. The lowest price North American made FLUKE is the 87-V which is a few hundred dollars at least.

I thought they brought back most of their mid range models? I remember reading about their issues with the 70 series that were made in China. I know the lower end 11x models are still made abroad. My 179 and 87-5 are made here though. I think the 77-4 I had was made in the USA too. Maybe they've changed that too?

For the voltages the OP will likely see on the car, I think the Extechs would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back