K&N-204 oil filter recall (Motorcycle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're running one of these on your bike I would remove it immediately. It's already been banned by many track day companies and you will not be permitted on a race track with this filter installed. I remember when this happened with Fram filters many years ago when they were blowing the threads of the filter and spraying the track down with oil.
https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

A friend suffering the consequences

Just another reason to hate K&N - at work we sell both K&N and Wix filters for motorcycle applications and I've always recommended Wix. Who needs the stupid nut anyway??

So this won't impact the Hiflofiltro 204 which is the same filter but without the nut.

People just need to stop putting oil filters on so tight that there needs to be a nut on the housing to remove it.

I'm glad the OPer's friend had plenty of room to scrub off speed after the failure before he finally went down! Could have been so much worse...

I thought the whole top nut thing was such a great idea when I was first buying oil filters, then I realized it basically did nothing for me in my application. I'll have to make sure the one K&N oil filter I have left hasn't been recalled before I give it away.

Nuts !
The irony is KN promotes these for racing because the nut can be safety wired to prevent spillage.

K&N is putting their butts on the line for lawsuits if someone crashes as a result of a filter failure.

We've seen this before, oil leaking from the filter at the nut they weld on. People have posted pictures showing the inside of the can where the nut is, showing cracks where the metal fatigued.

As far as I'm concerned that nut is one time use only, nobody should ever use the nut to tighten it down or take it off with the nut and then put the filter back on, it should be used to remove it and dispose of it afterward.

I think the nut is a stupid idea, given how easy it is to take a filter off if it's put on properly and the complications it introduces, more failure points. If someone reefed a filter on too tight I doubt the nut would help anyone at that point anyway, would probably just shear off the dome end.

You can have a nut without issues it just needs to be done properly.

My airplane's oil filter has a nut and is lock wired. Im not concerned that its going to leak.

The nut didn't have these issues when Champ made them!

The bad nuts happened once K&N started outsourcing to Mexico and Korea

Originally Posted By: FastLane
K&N makes junk. A lot of "performance" parts are junk IMO.

K&N doesn't "make" anything. They are a brand name that is slapped on the product & box by the lowest bidder contract manufacturer. Same with STP. FRAM, Wix, Purolator all make their own filters (at least the ones with decent volume). The cats & dog low-runner models are generally purchased from China/India/Mexico.

Last edited:
Happened to me to. Exact same filte type. The whole nut assembly disappeared in my case.I was lucky to drive in a straight line in the daylight and looked at my mirrors to see the fog of the oil burning on the exhaust right after the failure that made me stop and check. Shut the engine and still oil was pouring like crazy on the catalytic converterluckily not catching fire.i ve lost only 200ml of oil so I know that i got it right after it happened.i should probably fall in the next corner. My rear tire was soaked in oil.I contacted them and they offered to replace the filter plus giving me 2 more.
They said they had never heard if the same issue before...
All the welding points have gone bad. The filter was in use for 2500kms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back