Wife's Captiva, lucky or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had an interesting 3 months with the Captiva.

Bought it with 159,400km on the clock. Used car dealers have to give you a 3 month 5,000km warranty on used vehicles, so scraped in by 0.4% of the allowable mileage...got the warranty.

Checked up on recalls, and there was one outstanding, for dodgy rocker arms...booked it in, while they ordered parts.

Day before we moved house, it started hemorrhaging diesel...fuel filter had cracked...3 weeks left on warranty.
Rang dealer, and he called it in...I offered that it was bad mojo to drive a car spewing fuel over the exhaust...let me get my local guy fix it $325 I didn't pay.

Went in for the recall today, and they found that the rocker arms had damaged the cam...returned car, booked in for two weeks time.

Repair will need them to have the vehicle for 2 days...will give my wife a loaner for the 2 days.

Repairs involve pulling a LOT of the front apart.

I enquired about a timing belt and water pump (belt due in the next 12 months/7,000 miles anyway)...they'll do it for the parts price, as they are that far elbow deep anyway...normally $1,200 for a straight job.

So...lucky, or unlucky

Yeah, I'm leaning towards lucky.

Captiva is the 2.0 VM...next cam belt job is 90,000km later at 250,000km, that's probably the review date for ownership. Although daughter will be a driver at that point. 9.3L/100km, I'm not in a hurry to move it on.

Colorado is the 2.8

Lucky I'd say. If it was a recall on the rockers, and there was a time limit, you got lucky. Like most modern vehicles, not much room to get at things they don't expect ever to come apart.

I remembered when we had a topic about 2.8. Captivas are 2.0 here but thought it was Australian market thing - big engines and so.
That would be a Korean made VM, right? That consumption seems bit high for my liking. My Vectra (1.9/ 150hp, 1,6 tonne) will do 7,5 litre/100 (combined).

After doing proper research I would consider stretching that cambelt job in the future. I did Stilo at 120( 150 interval) and all was in great condition. Just did one van at 187k km for the first time (180k interval), again all great. The other van(same 1,6 8v HDI) is getting it at 200k.

He has a diesel, and you don't push a cambelt on a diesel - unless it has rockers, there is no good outcome.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Lucky I'd say. If it was a recall on the rockers, and there was a time limit, you got lucky. Like most modern vehicles, not much room to get at things they don't expect ever to come apart.

When it was [censored] out diesel on the first one, I looked at what it was going to take just to get the fuel filter out of the chassis for a look.

Coolant reservior drained and out, power steering reservoir out of the way..can't get there from above, can't get there from below...question for you Silk, how do you drain the water from the filter on these ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Silk
He has a diesel, and you don't push a cambelt on a diesel - unless it has rockers, there is no good outcome.

All of mine are diesels as well. 90k seems rather short for a modern car, that is why I suggested there might be some room to expand cambelt change. If they are known to be problematic then obviously not.

Shannon, is it cartridge or metal one?

chrisri, it's the plastic housing with the element in it like the Astra...just jammed between the engine and firewall with oodles of stuff over the top.

Lucky!

Caught a major hidden problem under warranty. Could've turned out to be very, very expensive.

Yah, you got lucky. We bought our first Camry and it wouldn't pass emissions. 1500$ in parts and labor. No charge and a free rental.No clue as what the trouble was. Parts indicated a head rebuild.

Yes, you got lucky.
Got everything fixed and the timing belt done for the parts cost for that job.
Sometimes, things just work out nicely.

I'd say lucky. That's a lot of wear items, seals, gaskets, etc, they will gone over and replaced. What year is this vehicle?

They had it three days to get it all done...two days, then identified an oil leak and had it another half day.

The timing belt showed distress from the cam/lifter thing...so Holden paid for that too. Checked the play in the water pump, and declared it good. oil leaked on test drive from their work.

Apologised when wife picked it up, they decided that the accessory belt was on it's last legs and replaced that on their own volition...I'd already authorised the timing belt, this was half the price, so they did it.

Soooo....

New fuel filter housing, new cam, lifters, a $1,000 timing belt job, and new accessory belt...with $120 out of my pocket.

The Holden cam job doesn't include replacement of oil...I've got enough, so I can spring for that.

My state has a compulsory 3,000 mile 3 month used car warranty on anything sold under 100,000 miles old.

The aftermarket insurance products that they try to sell with them as "warranty" are junk

Yeah, I'd say a very lucky save - but could very easily have been an "Epica" fail (get it?
grin.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back