Found myself a 4x4 for the winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a customer come in this week with a rather beaten up 2000 GMC Sonoma. 150ish thousand miles. It's puking power steering fluid from the pump, the oil cooler lines are ready to burst, the idler arm is wasted, and it needs front sway bar links. The outside has several rust holes, but the underside is surprisingly clean. Oh, and the drivers door panel is missing. Aside from that, it has a newer water pump and belt from what I can see, maybe newer tune up parts. Electric 4x4 seems to work as it should.

$150 for the truck, needs tabs next month. I figure with parts call is $400. If it gets me through a MN winter without having to buy snow tires for my Marauder, I consider it a wash. I should be able to get $750-$1000 out of it come spring time.

Oh how I hate S10's...

This is another reason I bought my truck although I must confess, I actually like them.

I put nearly 10k on mine already. Just did tune up repairs and new tires.

Oh and check your spring shackles!

Did the owner realize a salvage yard would probably have payed more than $150 for it? I wouldn't feel comfortable steeling
it from someone. A local salvage yard near me is paying $200 a ton regardless of the condition as long as the cat(s) are present.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Did the owner realize a salvage yard would probably have payed more than $150 for it? I wouldn't feel comfortable steeling
it from someone. A local salvage yard near me is paying $200 a ton regardless of the condition as long as the cat(s) are present.

He said it was a customer..so maybe the OP has treated him well in the past..or will in the future for such a nice gesture.

Neighbor picked up a Sonoma for his daughter for $300 for a first car. Lots of corrosion but runs well and doesn't need a lot of work.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

You have generous salvage yards! Around here $150-$200 is all you'll get. I think the owner would rather see it continue to be used. It really did seem to run nice.

You do realize that being well prepared pretty well ensures a mild winter?
LOL!

Yep, that's exactly what'll happen.
smile.gif

Nice score. I bet you'll get more than one winter out of it. Probably worth using to keep the Maruader clean.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Yep, that's exactly what'll happen.
smile.gif

Nice score. I bet you'll get more than one winter out of it. Probably worth using to keep the Maruader clean.

Ha! I'm not keeping the Marauder clean. It's beat. Rust is taking a toll and it's banged up all over. It's going to be hard to get rid of, I absolutely love the car. Other than being ugly it's been absolutely fantastic. 212k miles on the original 4.6 and it uses less than 1/4 quart between changes, which I do with Amsoil 5w30 OE. It has NO startup smoke, timing chain rattle, or any other issues. It will still chirp the rear tires at WOT going in to second!

I had a 1996 blazer 4x4 4.3 V-6 Back in 2006. Just owned it for 6 months or so. I don't know if it had tall gears or what but I got 24-25mpg.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I had a 1996 blazer 4x4 4.3 V-6 Back in 2006. Just owned it for 6 months or so. I don't know if it had tall gears or what but I got 24-25mpg.

That's [censored] impressive. I expect to get no better mileage out of the 4.3 than I do out of my 4.6. I figure 16 in town and 19 highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back