How should I choose portable generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to go camping,so I need to buy a portable generator.
And If suddenly no electricity, I can also use it.

What brand of recommendation

For camping....I would choose inverter generator over regular with AVR function...

Inverters are pricier but not so noisy because they dont have to run WOT all the time (depends on your energy consumption)

Conventional = they run at fixed engine speed (for small power,
Inverter = they adapt their engine speed based on inverter demand, and there's a battery to compensate waiting for engine revving up. Output is at least a triangle shaped sinusoid for the cheapest inverters, and a true sinusoid for the expensive ones. They're rather silent, fuel efficient, lighter, smaller.

I wouldn't go camping with a conventional one if there's any kind od neighborhood near.

(Although I have a conventional one that I use when the grid is off for more than one hour, sometimes last 8 hours,, I have some neighbors complaining about noise)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
For camping....I would choose inverter generator over regular with AVR function...

Inverters are pricier but not so noisy because they dont have to run WOT all the time (depends on your energy consumption)

This^., I bought mine for camping just to return it month later. Never actually used it, except testing it at home. NOISY as [censored] , no way I would camp with that.

Decide how much stuff you want to run at the same time.
Decide on how much you are willing to spend.

Then shop around. A 3000W can be had for $300

Inverter generators have a number of benefits, but come with a big price tag

I don't know if California has pawn shops but awesome deals can be found on them there.
Depends on what all you want to run on it for the size.
The noise doesn't really bother me camping because it's a monotone. I used to worry about the noise but there are tips to make them quieter.
Not really as bad as many make it sound. If you start it and stand there and look at it, I guess you would say Geez, that's loud but 20' away with the exhaust pointed away, not so much.

Originally Posted By: linjiawen
I want to go camping,so I need to buy a portable generator.
And If suddenly no electricity, I can also use it.

What brand of recommendation

I've been in the path of hurricanes for 30+ years. Plenty of "off grid" and camping experience.

First things first. The generator you pick depends on your planned use AND your planned back up use.

A Honda EU1000 suitcase generator will run a 5000 BTU air conditioner or will start and run a moderately sized fridge. But not both. The Honda 2000 will easily do both, or a larger AC unit.

Among the Chinese brands, Champion is considered the best. But they fall short of Honda products.

If you are going to purchase a conventional, open frame genset, consider something from Northern Tool. They use Honda engines and Mecc Alte (very high quality) generator heads.

Note: an 11HP (5500W) generator will start and run well pumps, will run a water heater etc.

Remember to consider HP (or engine CC's) , not "peak watts" when sizing a larger generator. It's HP that does the work, and engine size is the defining factor. A 330cc engine will make 11HP and make about 5500W of electrical output. A 270cc engine WILL NOT make 5500W continuous, and so cannot run most typical 4500W water heaters.

There are many people who like the Chinese inverter generators. I've had a couple of them over the years and all of them failed. I won't do that again. Maybe they are better now? Even so, good luck getting parts.

I think a camping generator and a home backup computer are two different sets of requirements that will result in two different generators.

When did camping involve a generator? What about a tent, sleeping bag, cooler and campfire?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think a camping generator and a home backup computer are two different sets of requirements that will result in two different generators.

When did camping involve a generator? What about a tent, sleeping bag, cooler and campfire?

Think the trend is called "glamping"

I bought a Firman inverter generator for summer camping with a 5th wheel. Needs to start and run a pretty large AC unit and a few other things with a cheap 12volt convertor.
Would easily run a few things in a home without issue and with its 1.8 gallon tank can last all night and is very quiet. Big plus with it is it has remote start and stop. Does not take any more gas than my Ryobi 2200 inverter genny. 3300 starting watts. 2 year warranty and have called them on a weekend and have had them call me back to help with ?s. To the door was under $900. They offer it in manual start only mode too but so nice to use remote to stop it before going to bed and start it in the AM to start the coffee.

Don't buy any generator now. I bought an 1800 W Wen on Amazon for $180. It is now $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It weighs 50 pounds. It is perfect for emergency and camping. I love it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
Don't buy any generator now. I bought an 1800 W Wen on Amazon for $180. It is now $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irma is sucking up generators. Month or so there will be a pile for sale used and some new in the box as many bought that did not need but to have. Think as of this AM 2 million without power in Florida. Just to have a room with AC would be welcome I'm sure. Picture of friends home by Melbourne

[Linked Image]

I firmly agree with Cujet. I have an Eu2000i Honda and its excellent. If the electricity goes out you want a quality generator that uses a reasonable amount of gas. Buy quality where you can buy replacement parts and have it serviced as necessary. Its amazing to me that people who are really concerned about lack of electricity will buy junk generators and hope they make it through the storm/loss of power. I'm thinking about getting another eu2000i companion and an eu1000 for light camping activities.

I would consider a Yamaha ef2000i, but I've heard of some bad stories with them and the service/repair shops for the Yamaha is much slimmer than Honda.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
There are many people who like the Chinese inverter generators. I've had a couple of them over the years and all of them failed. I won't do that again. Maybe they are better now? Even so, good luck getting parts.

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Conventional = they run at fixed engine speed (for small power,
Inverter = they adapt their engine speed based on inverter demand, and there's a battery to compensate waiting for engine revving up. Output is at least a triangle shaped sinusoid for the cheapest inverters, and a true sinusoid for the expensive ones. They're rather silent, fuel efficient, lighter, smaller.

I wouldn't go camping with a conventional one if there's any kind od neighborhood near.
3600 rpm for 60 cycles and a 2 pole alternator. Yes, inverters are better but contain more failure prone parts. Some early non inverter Honda generators "overdrove" the alternator with a pulley drive with different diameter pulleys.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I bought one 2months ago....its Chinese(???) Honda copy...but it seems that it is prety decent

So far so good

If you're planning on camping, get an inverter generator. You will be very unpopular with a noisy conventional generator. I will say steer clear of Powerhouse generators. I have one and I'm starting to regret it. Wish I'd bought a Champion or a Honda. The short and sweet is the Powerhouse is not built very well, it's hard to start, and parts are hard to find. Suprisingly, despite its flaws the voltage out is clean and purely sinusoidal, and it will even start the air conditioning unit on my camper - if I can get it started.

I have a 5500 watt generator. More than enough for my house. The big generators guzzle fuel and are noisy. You need to have fuel to feed it before the power goes out. Lots of oil too. It doesn't take long to have 50 hours on it.

I'm going to pick up a Honda eu2000i. It will do for most power outages without the noise and fuel burn. Ill keep the 5500 for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back