Schaeffers 5w30, 6,271 miles in F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first run with Schaeffers 9000 Full Synthetic (the other two UOAs are M1). Glad to see it didn't shear down as much as the M1 has, but the wear numbers took an unexpected jump. I only had 25 hours of idle on this cycle (14%) and the OLM was at 39%...tracking with Ford's apparent 10,000 mile hard stop on the OLM. I know the wear metals will increase with miles, but I had 32hrs of idle (20%) and 61hrs (30%) on the first and second cycles respectively.

Ran a Fram Ultra for the first time and used premium fuel. I ran a lot of highway miles on this cycle, including a 1,400 mile weekend trip.

I sent a sample of this oil off to Blackstone for a VOA back in April. That info is Here

Last edited:
It's better for an oil to shear a tad than thicken(oxidize). Looks good for a new engine.

My .02. Go to WM,get some M1,run it 5,000 miles,change it,save the uoa money.

Originally Posted By: Onug
This was my first run with Schaeffers 9000 Full Synthetic (the other two UOAs are M1). Glad to see it didn't shear down as much as the M1 has, but the wear numbers took an unexpected jump. I only had 25 hours of idle on this cycle (14%) and the OLM was at 39%...tracking with Ford's apparent 10,000 mile hard stop on the OLM. I know the wear metals will increase with miles, but I had 32hrs of idle (20%) and 61hrs (30%) on the first and second cycles respectively.

Ran a Fram Ultra for the first time and used premium fuel. I ran a lot of highway miles on this cycle, including a 1,400 mile weekend trip.

I sent a sample of this oil off to Blackstone for a VOA back in April. That info is Here

This may not mean anything, but considering you ran the Schaffer's for more miles, the wear numbers are pretty relative. Was the M1 the regular M1, or EP, etc.?

Those pentane insolubles crept up on that last run. Those turbos are cooking the oil a little. These Ecoboosts are pretty hard on oil, it seems. After my last UOA's, I am thinking of using the M1 10W-30 HM for the next tests.

The M1 is the standard stuff. I'm just playing around and running some tests with this truck. I'm running the Schaeffers for two cycles that will match the M1 tests (Sept-Dec, Jan-April, both with lots of idling). It will be interesting to see how my first UOA matches up with the M1 in January. Then next spring I'm switching over to Magnatec and repeating the cycle.

Thanks for the research!

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
This may not mean anything, but considering you ran the Schaffer's for more miles, the wear numbers are pretty relative.

^^ This ^^

More miles makes more metal. Try not to get OCD over a couple parts per million.

Great PCMO BEST add pack + antimony used Schaeffers 5w 30 SL for many years after 7500 oil changes no Shear & no Oil pressure loss . What slse can U say used to get it in 5 gallon pails .No gimmicks.

Where is this oil shearing after 6700 miles in a ECO BOOST ? . STILL A SOLID 5w 30 not like many other produts out there . Wake up

Originally Posted By: LEADED
Where is this oil shearing after 6700 miles in a ECO BOOST ? . STILL A SOLID 5w 30 not like many other produts out there . Wake up

Wake up? Feel free to slow down and read my entire post. I never said the Schaeffers was out of spec.

And welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted By: Onug
The M1 is the standard stuff. I'm just playing around and running some tests with this truck. I'm running the Schaeffers for two cycles that will match the M1 tests (Sept-Dec, Jan-April, both with lots of idling). It will be interesting to see how my first UOA matches up with the M1 in January. Then next spring I'm switching over to Magnatec and repeating the cycle.

You can't really glean much by doing that process other than by watching for any anomolies and determining which lube you can run longer by tracking TBN/TAN. If you haven't read the links from the main page of the site, I suggest starting with this one:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

Originally Posted By: LEADED

It is down near the lower end of the grade. I don't know what it started at, but it probably has sheared or diluted some. It was stated that it didn't do it AS MUCH as M1. It is a solid performance.

I'd hardly call an iron increase of 0.5ppm/1k miles a 'jump' in wear, but looking at the overall trends I wouldn't call the Schaeffer's any 'worse' if you ran the same OCI. TBN is still solid, but insolubles ticked up a hair.

One UOA does not make a trend, I say run either oil whichever is cheaper, run the same oil for at least 3-4 OCI and check your trends then. If you double up oil changes on the same FU filter, keep an eye on insolubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back