2006 Ford Escape, 300K 5-20 MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a question about my 2017 Fusion today and visited the Local Ford dealer's Service Center. I saw the body shop mgr. and we started talking Fords and maintenance. He told me his Escape(4 cyl Duratech) gets 3-5K OCIs using MC 5-20. Still uses no oil in his rather short OCI. He gasp when I told him I do 10K OCIs. I was also told they service many very high mileage Fords that use 5-20 with no unusual engine wear.

Last edited:
So what's the question? The answer is yes, Ford engines typically will make it to 300k with anything resembling normal oil changes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
So what's the question? The answer is yes, Ford engines typically will make it to 300k with anything resembling normal oil changes
smile.gif

The question had to do with the high tech way some things work on these newer cars. Someday I'll figure it out. Possibly!

I suspect for most cars, in the majority of use cases, 5w20 will work just fine. Add a little severe service, under the wrong conditions, and I don't believe it is up to the task.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I suspect for most cars, in the majority of use cases, 5w20 will work just fine. Add a little severe service, under the wrong conditions, and I don't believe it is up to the task.

Are police cars under severe service? Our local police force have Fords. They are serviced at the local Ford dealer(and have for the last 60+ years) I mentioned. They use MC 5-20, and MC filters since the early 2000s, and according to the "service mgr", failed engines are a rarity.

I'd be willing to bet he gets the oil free from the dealership since he works there.. probably does the changes himself, or has one of the low-level techs do it for him, so really the cost is $0.. in that case, I guess doing a 3k-5k OCI would be easy, free, prevention in his mind.

Was he an older guy?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Yup, yup, that's how it works. Everything is free if you work at a dealer
crazy2.gif

He's a manager.. there are perks.. some of them are even the "look the other way" kind. I've worked at multiple dealerships in the past. Quite a few managers got lots of freebies.

For the average shmo, no.. But he even said, the guy is the Body Shop manager.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Are police cars under severe service? Our local police force have Fords. They are serviced at the local Ford dealer(and have for the last 60+ years) I mentioned. They use MC 5-20, and MC filters since the early 2000s, and according to the "service mgr", failed engines are a rarity.

nah, that's ideal conditions. Oil always hot, frequent brief accelerations. I would consider a short tripper to be more severe.

My recent tow through eastern Canada, now that was severe. It's all about engine temps IMO, which means it's all about viscosity.

Originally Posted By: tig1

nah, that's ideal conditions. Oil always hot, frequent brief accelerations. I would consider a short tripper to be more severe.

My recent tow through eastern Canada, now that was severe. It's all about engine temps IMO, which means it's all about viscosity.

BufordTJustis would disagree. Scroll up to his post made at 10:15 AM.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4516018/30,000_mile_drains,_police_car#Post4516018

Last edited:
It's funny. My mom just bought a new Forester and the biggest thing she misses? Automatic door locks when she puts the car in drive. Yes, we really have become that lazy!

Her NEW Forester does not have this feature?

My moms 2017 Forester does not have auto doors locks and the headlights do not activate when the wipers are turned on.I find this odd but I must say I like her Forester with the touring package better than my Ford Escape.

Yes Greg. Like Joe said, no "auto" locks or "auto" headlights (hers is the premium), but one thing Subaru still does is that you simply leave the headlight switch on all the time, and they shut off when you turn the key to the fully off position. It may not be auto, but it is still a 'set and forget' feature. Subaru has been doing it for a long time, since my 01 Forester does the same thing.

It's funny. My mom just bought a new Forester and the biggest thing she misses? Automatic door locks when she puts the car in drive. Yes, we really have become that lazy!

That's the first thing I disable on a vehicle that has it automatically lock when in gear or when I start moving.

I'm too lazy to replace lock actuators when they wear out from getting used 5x a driving cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back