best way to wash with pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to go back to using the pressure washer to wash vehicles. Mine is like 2800 psi. and saw that is too much. So I an considering getting a reducer for it. Any idea which one I should get? What about a foam cannon? Any other advise?

its only 2800psi with the needle tip, if you use a fan tip it should be 1400-1600psi or less.

This is a pretty good application for an electric pressure washer but gas can be fine with a little care.

I got a gas one year for Christmas and really don't want to buy another one. I like to make do with what I have.

Be careful with the higher pressure and shoot an area out of the way first. One time decided to use the plant's ash house power washer on my 1979 Caddy DeVille. Before I realized it, I had burned in a couple of "S" patterns on the hood where the exterior coat of paint used to be. Sheesh.

Don't.

Stick your hand under the nozzle and see how you like it.

Great for concrete and other things, but not cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Don't.

Stick your hand under the nozzle and see how you like it.

Great for concrete and other things, but not cars.

A hand is not a car.

Many small electric pressure washers simply don't have the power to hurt a car's finish. Just avoid getting too close.

Pressure washing removes heavy dirt without scratching. A great way to clean many parts of modern vehicles without using too much water.

Using a small electric pressure washer is doing much the same thing the touchless carwashes do.

I have been using 2800 psi pressure washers for four years. The only issue I had is it getting under the paint where there was a rock chip on the front bumper. Other than that, it cleans better and prevents swirls from trapping dirt when you wash.

as mentioned I would use a fan tip and invest in a foamer. It is essentially an attachment that has a small container and a tip that will cover your car in car wash foam. Does a great job if you slather it and let it sit then give it a quick blast.

Pressure washers in general are fine if used properly. Lots of places use they for cleaning cars on the dealerships and fleet services. The key is to not get so close and use a low tip.

I use my 11 hp Honda pressure washer from time to time to wash my vehicles and never had a problem. It can put out a lot more than 2800 psi too. I just throttle it back and not get too close with it. It works just fine.

I don't have a pressure valve on mine. Is it ok on those pumps to run on half throttle? I also trying think in physics terms, would that reduce your pressure also? I also no one talked about putting a pressure reducer on.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Is a foamer a foam cannon? What is a fan tip?
That is the tip or nozzle of the spray lance, the wider the angle°, the larger the fan or spray pattern, and the more gentle the spray.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Is a foamer a foam cannon? What is a fan tip?
That is the tip or nozzle of the spray lance, the wider the angle°, the larger the fan or spray pattern, and the more gentle the spray.
Sounds like something already have. I have 0, 15, 25, 40 degree. I wonder how a 40 degree works at full throttle vs. 25 degree at half throttle. The reason I am asking is because I lost paint on the molding of a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac when I first got my 2800 psi pressure washer. Now I have a brand new vehicle that am afraid to use the pressure washer on, so I was doing the old bucket method and it just reminded me how I like the pressure washer. So I like to use it and know the proper way of doing it.

I don't have a pressure valve on mine. Is it ok on those pumps to run on half throttle? I also trying think in physics terms, would that reduce your pressure also? I also no one talked about putting a pressure reducer on.

You could run at half throttle, or even less for that matter. We do it all the time when only a little pressure is required to get the job done.

My electric washer came with a fan tip and a foam nozzle.

Foam nozzle is very little pressure, it just shoots bubbles of soap at the car.

Fan tip is similar to an automatic car wash.

Obviously you don't want the zero degree tip on your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back