SE New England; Bennys retailer; calling it quits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of this year; company wants an orderly shutdown and indicates family owner small retail future not looking good.

http://www.rimonthly.com/bennys-is-retiring-all-stores-to-close-by-the-end-of-2017/

Home of Citgo $1.39 Syn oil after rebate and great Cooper deals; 90+ year history. I once got tires and they had to call another store to see if they had some; I picked them up at the other store DAYS later and they basically rolled them out and addressed me with my surname. No hunting around, no asking if anyone knew what I was talking about; They will be missed.

OLD-BENNYS1.jpg

Willimantic CT; first one I ever went to. (below)
BENNYSEXTERIOR.jpg

Groton Ct; (still there)
Vintage-Bennys_23.jpg

Norwich CT
norwich.jpg

Last edited:
Seems the saying that the only constant is change is true. The change isn't always in the right direction. Never been in a Benny's store but it looks like my kind of place.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Groton Ct; (still there)
Vintage-Bennys_23.jpg

Per Google Street View, not much has changed!

Cool nastlagia but the family want to retire and owns the real estate of 32 or so stores. They want to cash out those properties.

Been going to Benny's since late 1970's/early 1980's. They will be missed. And another Dollar General opens up near me. I'd take the Benny's.

Those Benny's pics reminds me of the heyday of Western Auto. You could go in and buy fishing rods, ammo and guns, car parts, all kinds of car accessories (like drink holders that fit on the transmission hump, remember those?), and yes, home appliances.

Funny, ive never heard of them, granted i havent been to CT much either. Love the old classic pics! Its too bad. We need more mom and pop kind of places these days. I like variety and maybe it could be a chance of getting good service. We all need to get together and start something lol.

I used to go to the Willimantic one with my dad all the time growing up. Now it is a Big Lots I believe. I haven't been back since Benny's left.

I remember my dad getting tires and batteries there a few times, among other things. It seemed like they had pretty much everything there.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Seems the saying that the only constant is change is true. The change isn't always in the right direction. Never been in a Benny's store but it looks like my kind of place.
Right you are Langanobob. The "only constant is change." Author and UCLA instructor K.C. Cole says in " The Hole in the Universe" that change (time) is necessary for our existence. " If time were perfectly symmetrical, there would be no past or future." All the other laws of nature run both ways, but time alone, contrary to special relativity, runs in only one direction. We remember the past and contemplate the future.Perfect symmetry is not part of the human experience. Perhaps that is why Navajo weavers always weave a flaw in their beautiful rugs. I know, I know. You are thinking of what Olson Johnson told Howard Johnson at the townhall meeting in "Blazing Saddles."
smile.gif

I remember these kinds of stores everywhere when I was growing up. I think pretty much everything back then was mom and pop. I really can't remember noticing when corporations started taking over. It's just like suddenly one day it was there,everywhere. I grew up in the 70s (born in 1969).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back