Mobil 1 0W40 and 5w50 Real or Fake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as real as any other brand of oil and better than most that cost more.

I think he's asking if this is "real" Mobil1 or a counterfeit. If so, hard to tell now a days for sure, but going by your pics, Mobil1 uses different packaging than what we get here. Still looks good to me.

Best bet would be to reach out to XOM via email or Twitter. Looks fine to me
21.gif

I remember those bottles here in the states but they had the normal caps. I've never seen a cap like that before. If you were local, I'd tell you they're fake and you should send them to me for disposal!
grin.gif

Seriously, what's the deal with those caps?

I've seen Mobil1 in a variety of bottles. I notice that yours are 4 litres, the ones for sale here are 4.4 litres (4 US Quarts). Might be a result of the "Wal-Mart Trick" ... selling a product in a smaller container to be able to charge a lower price. Note that the other image is for a 5 US Quart container.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I've seen Mobil1 in a variety of bottles. I notice that yours are 4 litres, the ones for sale here are 4.4 litres (4 US Quarts). Might be a result of the "Wal-Mart Trick" ... selling a product in a smaller container to be able to charge a lower price. Note that the other image is for a 5 US Quart container.

That makes no sense because 2 liters is 2.11 quarts.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I remember those bottles here in the states but they had the normal caps. I've never seen a cap like that before. If you were local, I'd tell you they're fake and you should send them to me for disposal!
grin.gif

Those are the caps Mobil was using for the older Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and the 1300 Super jugs. I have some in my stash right now. Our family starting using Delvac around 5 years ago? And that is the way they were. Then, about a year and half ago or two years ago, the bottles were changed. Now, they don't have the nifty spout anymore. The bottles and labels were changed, I also noticed the location changed as well. On the older bottles, on the back label, it says Fairfax, Virginia. The new bottles say Spring, Texas.

Mobil 1 oil bottles don't have the caps and didn't, even when the Delvac had the caps.

grin.gif

The company I work for previously used those caps for our oil. Now we don't. So now I can't even use my own company's oil because I need a pour spout to fill the final drive on my streetbike. Oh how I long for sensible and convenient packaging decisions over the current penny pinching method.

Last edited:
Looks pretty authentic and those are the same caps as used on NA market Delvac gallon jugs. I've had a few of these.
A couple of EU savvy guys have also noted that this is normal packaging in Europe, so I'd say you got the real stuff.
Look at it this way. If I were counterfeiting oil, would I bother to use a complicated and costly cap design?

grin.gif

XOM uses those pull spouts on some oil jugs, I have gallons of Delvac 1300 that have them.

We enconuter a problem with counterfeit Mobil 1 Oil here in Germany, heavily discussed in the German Motor Oil Forum "Oil Club"

One Menber thankfull made a VOA of the original and the counterfeit Oil, the counterfeit contains almost zero antiwear additves.

The counterfeit Oil was allways sold vie E-bay by small one man "Garage Companys" here in Germany.

Until now, there is no case evident that counterfeit Mobil 1 was sold via regualer car supply shops. This shops stil sell original Mobil 1.

Meanhwile, reports of the first damaged engine occur.

Mobil / Exxon oil is not interested in this case.

Look at the pics, the darker can is the Counterfeit. The Oil has a light pink hue.

http://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/2039-f%C3%A4lschung-analyse-referenz-mobil-1-peak-life-5w-50/&pageNo=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
We enconuter a problem with counterfeit Mobil 1 Oil here in Germany, heavily discussed in the German Motor Oil Forum "Oil Club"

One Menber thankfull made a VOA of the original and the counterfeit Oil, the counterfeit contains almost zero antiwear additves.

The counterfeit Oil was allways sold vie E-bay by small one man "Garage Companys" here in Germany.

Until now, there is no case evident that counterfeit Mobil 1 was sold via regualer car supply shops. This shops stil sell original Mobil 1.

Meanhwile, reports of the first damaged engine occur.

Mobil / Exxon oil is not interested in this case.

Look at the pics, the darker can is the Counterfeit. The Oil has a light pink hue.

http://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/2039-f%C3%A4lschung-analyse-referenz-mobil-1-peak-life-5w-50/&pageNo=1

I guess that Mobil1 is coming from Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back