Engine break in and new Rotella bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I own a 2001 Z28 Camaro that was a stock bottom end LQ4 6.0 with a borg warner billet S480 turbo strapped to it. I had the engine in the car for over 4 years and tore it down this year to have some forged rods and pistons put in it.

I am getting ready for the first start up and went to buy some oil for it. I was going to continue to use the Rotella 15w-40 that was in the stock bottom end motor but noticed that the bottle had changed. Is there anything different about this oil now and can I continue to use it? I did end up buying some SuperTech 10w-40 to break the engine in on. Will this work ok for that? I know all about the racing break in oils and can't justify the price of them and my engine builder said any dino oil will work for break in.

Should I switch to something else after break in? If so, what would you all suggest for this combo that will make 8-900 rwhp? The car will be driven a lot, raced a lot, and the oil will get changed a lot.

Thanks for the help! Video of the car below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcQpb5My474

Last edited:
Hi there, what recommendation does the engine builder recommend? Do you have any data from them on oil pressure requirements?

He said I could continue to use the Rotella I had been using, but that was before I noticed the bottle change.

No oil pressure requirements. I have a high volume pump though and oil pressure was always around 60 psi on a cold start and 50 or so warm. I am not sure on the new bearing clearances but should be somewhat on the loose side due to boost.

The Rotella would be superior to the SuperTech for the break in process.

Gas/diesel oils are going through a transition right now.

Rotella seems to be the only one that has all the previous additive levels. The others seem to be lowering certain additive levels to comply with SN gas ratings. Rotella is no longer rated for use in gas engines, officially. But they will tell you its fine, and as will most everyone on this board.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Rotella would be superior to the SuperTech for the break in process.

Gas/diesel oils are going through a transition right now.

Rotella seems to be the only one that has all the previous additive levels. The others seem to be lowering certain additive levels to comply with SN gas ratings. Rotella is no longer rated for use in gas engines, officially. But they will tell you its fine, and as will most everyone on this board.

XOM pulled a switcheroo on me with an gas/diesel oil that hasn't even been changed recently, M1 5W30 ESP is rated for gasoline engines according to their website but customer service told me the product would not be covered by their warranty if I used it in my GDIT car. WTH?!?!?

Shell has been saying for a long time that T6 5W30 would be their gas/diesel fleet oil, but has anybody actually seen that for sale anywhere?

Last edited:
Might be better off with a 4 stroke marine 25w40. Mercruiser or equivalent.

SShhhh! Its a performance oil secret!

Last edited:
Good info. I won't keep the SuperTech in it for very long and switch back to Rotella since it worked so well previously.

I'm no ST fan because I got some bad oil once. But I had to break in an engine and used the conventional ST 10w40 and
had no issues with it. Problem is once you get a bad product it sours you but in this area the ST 10w40 is as good as any for break in or OPE use.

Originally Posted By: RedRocketZ28
Hello all, I own a 2001 Z28 Camaro that was a stock bottom end LQ4 6.0 with a borg warner billet S480 turbo strapped to it. I had the engine in the car for over 4 years and tore it down this year to have some forged rods and pistons put in it.

I am getting ready for the first start up and went to buy some oil for it. I was going to continue to use the Rotella 15w-40 that was in the stock bottom end motor but noticed that the bottle had changed. Is there anything different about this oil now and can I continue to use it? I did end up buying some SuperTech 10w-40 to break the engine in on. Will this work ok for that? I know all about the racing break in oils and can't justify the price of them and my engine builder said any dino oil will work for break in.

Should I switch to something else after break in? If so, what would you all suggest for this combo that will make 8-900 rwhp? The car will be driven a lot, raced a lot, and the oil will get changed a lot.

Thanks for the help! Video of the car below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcQpb5My474

According to shell they have not changed the formulation but have dropped the SM for T4

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm no ST fan because I got some bad oil once. But I had to break in an engine and used the conventional ST 10w40 and
had no issues with it. Problem is once you get a bad product it sours you but in this area the ST 10w40 is as good as any for break in or OPE use.

Hi Jim
smile.gif

So, that's why you use Magnatec
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back