M1 5W30 AP vs M1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small but interesting (to me) point I noticed about the AP 5W30 compared to M1 5W30...
AP 5W30 is quite a bit thicker than the standard product at 100C (roughly where my oil temp will sit once it is warmed up), 11.7 cSt compared to 11.0. The AP is actually not that far below M1 5W30 ESP at 12.1 cSt at 100C.
But, take it up to 150C for HTHS and the AP is 3.0 mPa*s while standard M1 5W30 is 3.1. I don't know why different units are used to report HTHS (density related?), but I did read that mPa*s is numerically equivalent to cP. M1 5W30 ESP kills both of these with a 3.58 HTHS.
I know that what's being measured is not quite the same in the two tests, but the suggestion that the AP's viscosity is falling off faster with temp than that of the standard M1 surprised me a bit. I don't know if this might suggest something about the composition of the oil to somebody in the know?

Last edited:
More important - how many mile into the OC and how is the engine liking it? I have found LL oils to take 2-3000 miles before the DP settles down and engine smooths out for the duration.

Usually a lower HTHS would mean less oil and more VM - not what you would expect in a LL. At least an ACEA A3,B4 LL

Have you read anything about Xom "magic" DP for this oil you would share.

I think I missed a middle AP thread a while back.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
More important - how many mile into the OC and how is the engine liking it? I have found LL oils to take 2-3000 miles before the DP settles down and engine smooths out for the duration.

Usually a lower HTHS would mean less oil and more VM - not what you would expect in a LL. At least an ACEA A3,B4 LL

Have you read anything about Xom "magic" DP for this oil you would share.

I think I missed a middle AP thread a while back.

Think I have about 300-400 miles on it and nothing much really jumps out about it compared to the 5W30 ESP it replaced. Oil temps still run a bit higher than I noted on M1 5W30 vanilla/EP as they did with the ESP and I suspect my gas mileage also remains slightly depressed. I was expecting to see lower oil temps after dropping the ESP, at least until I noticed how thick the AP is at 100C.
I bought this oil out of rabid curiosity, because it had a dexos1 Gen 2 license, and because there was a $10 WM gift card offer to go along with the XOM $12 rebate. I wasn't expecting anything miraculous or horrible to happen and my car hasn't changed its stripes yet. This is an easy OCI for my car, the chance of seeing real heat is pretty low and the oil will be out before the depths of winter. Still thinking about a 0W30 for my next change if a certain one I am dreaming about shows up on the market.

Thanks. You wont run this through till early spring of 2018?

Could that special oil be ENEOS SUSTINA?

probably not ...

I recall when we had that wonderful NA EJ253 on our 2009 it would love some Rotella Triple protect 10-w30 with a bottle of Shell Formula 5w30 to slick it up a tad.

All dino and all fantastic. EJ253 are easy on oil, roller rockers, no pushrods or shims or buckets, no timing CHAINS, Super Short stroke, Moly coated piston skirts. Fuel metering on the TB. Just that funky PCV system.

For 5W-30 oils out of the M1 5W-30, 5W-30 EP, 5W-30 AP, 0W-30 AFE, and 5W-30 HM, spec wise,
I am liking the 10W-30 HM
smile.gif

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-1-High-Mileage-Oils

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back