TR412 valve Stem vs TR413 for Tires

So I removed TR412 valve stem and everywhere I am seeing TR413 is readily available.

Only difference is height, I can get TR412 from Napa(made in China), but rather picked up some TR413 from Costco, thinking it'll be a better quality.

Now question is, my current one is Made in Japan and anyway I can get better quality TR412? Provided it doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

Local dealers are asking anywhere from $4-$10 for a single valve stem
crazy.gif

If I couldn't find anything better, will just use Costco ones and call it a day!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
thumbsup2.gif

They're 20 cents wholesale. Any dealer getting $4 for them loose is probably using that as a profit maker selling tires at cost.

It really doesn't matter where they are made. As simple as valve stems are, they are better today regardless where they are made because they now put antioxidants in the rubber mixture and they don't crack and fail as fast like they did 20-30 years ago.
I have 4 made in USA Milton TR413's in my tool chest.

TR412 and TR413 do not have anything to do with the material they're made of. That signifies what size they are. Those 2 are almost identical, except that the 412 is 3/4" long and the 413 is 1 ¼" long. Both fit a valve stem hole of .453"

The only issues that could arise would be if you had limited space and needed the 412 for that reason. Otherwise, a TR413 will work exactly the same as a TR412.

Last edited:
Valvestems, the greatest margin at the tire shop. Can cost less than 5 cents and sell for multiple dollars. You can buy them on ebay shipped to your door for around 20 cents. I once took in 4 of my own valvestems and had them used so i wouldnt have to pay their markup. Yep, im that guy sometimes.

My answer is assuming he's asking about valve stems for his new to him Sportbike. You'll be much happier with the angled aluminum valve stems I linked to. They make it far easier to check and adjust tire pressure, (which you should be doing before every ride) and they will last longer. Also, if you ever decide to get advanced rider training, do a trackday, or go roadracing, the more reputable organizations will require metal valve stems.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Valvestems, the greatest margin at the tire shop. Can cost less than 5 cents and sell for multiple dollars. You can buy them on ebay shipped to your door for around 20 cents. I once took in 4 of my own valvestems and had them used so i wouldnt have to pay their markup. Yep, im that guy sometimes.
Walmart is a great example of that. Im sure as many as walmart buys, its about a penny a pop. Then turn around and charge the customer $3 per tire.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
My answer is assuming he's asking about valve stems for his new to him Sportbike. You'll be much happier with the angled aluminum valve stems I linked to. They make it far easier to check and adjust tire pressure, (which you should be doing before every ride) and they will last longer. Also, if you ever decide to get advanced rider training, do a trackday, or go roadracing, the more reputable organizations will require metal valve stems.

Great suggestion! I had no idea they were for a sportbike. That would explain the need for such a short one, which is what I was finding during my quick search of Google.

SAFETY WARNING:

I was looking for information on this subject and found this old post.
Just to add a safety note related to this old post, for anyone who comes upon it like me:

According to the internet:

TR412 / TR413 tire valves are rated to 65psi.
So for truck tires with more pressure requirements OR that have thicker rim hole metal, then TR600HP or TR801HP valves are required which are rated to 100psi.

So installing TR412 or TR413 on a rim for a tire that goes to 80 psi, like a heavy 15 passenger van's rear tires, is a real concern because it can suddenly fail and potentially loose control or worse, cause a roll over if at highway speeds, for such high center of gravity vehicles possibly full of kids...
Since it is physically possible to install the 65psi valve where a 100 psi valve should go, this is a real concern and occurrence, even at tire shops....

PS also METAL valve stem extensions are not allowed because with their weight at highway speeds can cause stems to suddenly fail as well.

I'm heading to Walmart to get some in-stock Slime TR413 stems for my pressure washer and my 96 Buick Century.

Take care

Back