does anyone try 0w20 oil on BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm using mobil 1 0w40 fs on my BMW X1(N20b20 engine). as the ll-14fe said it's ok to use a 0w20 oil. curious about the oil performance on BMW. and if anyone has a UOA report would be much helpful. tkx.

If you're a typical USA BMW driver and never tip the throttle past ½, you'll probably get better fuel economy and maybe even wear numbers using a BMW-approved 0W-20.

if 0w20 can provide same protection under mild driving, I would like try it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jaj
I thought that LL14FE (0w20) was back-spec'd to everything that BMW built after about 2001 that wasn't an "M" model.

No. You're thinking of LL01FE, the A5/B5 0w30

Well flow is more important than viscosity.. To a point

Edit: I'll also add that I'd be weary of deviating from the suggested oil viscosity if you have things like oil pressure activated VVT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeanZ

Who the [censored] buys a BMW to drive it ''mildly'' all the time?..There are Prius' for such purpose.

Originally Posted By: M52
Who the [censored] buys a BMW to drive it ''mildly'' all the time?..There are Prius' for such purpose.

LOL. Most of the people that buy them new. More to the point, who buys a new car and just hammers the throttle all the time?

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Care to back that up with some facts and data ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Care to back that up with some facts and data ?

Or to even clarify the statement? "Flow" with regards to what?

"Hammering it" all the time in heavy US metro traffic gets you the title of "Bust My Wallet" jerk.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

"Hammering it" all the time in heavy US metro traffic gets you the title of "Bust My Wallet" jerk.

Only if you don't take care of it properly.

There is also a big difference between driving fast and abusing the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Bingo. Indeed one of the worst things one can do to a BMW is driving it granny style all the time - especially M Power engines don't forgive such fails.
More interesting in this case is what's the OP aiming when using 0W-20 in this car? I frankly see no benefit at all, just the contrary. Not that the factory recomended 0W-30 isn't already thin enough as to make things even thinner...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Who the [censored] buys a BMW to drive it ''mildly'' all the time?

More to the point, who buys a new car and just hammers the throttle all the time?

Who buys a new car and drives it all the time?
lol.gif

There was a guy here who used an ILSAC 0W-20 in his e36 328i during the winter in Canada.
I believe he was on Shannow's buddy list.
Since BMWs are not normally bought for their superior fuel efficiency, I'm not sure why you'd want to use a 0W-20 grade oil.
The reports of enhanced fuel economy using very light grades are greatly over-hyped. You could expect an improvement of maybe 1-2% as compared to a 0W-40 grade oil.
Although real, it would be barely noticeable in normal use. You might save .4-.8 gallons over each thousand miles.
I'd stick with the M1 0W-40 were it my BMW.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Bingo. Indeed one of the worst things one can do to a BMW is driving it granny style all the time - especially M Power engines don't forgive such fails.
More interesting in this case is what's the OP aiming when using 0W-20 in this car? I frankly see no benefit at all, just the contrary. Not that the factory recomended 0W-30 isn't already thin enough as to make things even thinner...

Been driving BMWs easy for many years. All have run perfectly. What evidence do you have that doing so is "one of the worst things you can do?" What happens to the engines that don't "forgive such fails?" The new cars (such as our 2017 330i) call for 0W-20 oil. What makes you smarter than the BMW powertrain engineers that specify this oil?

Last edited:
...then again none of these BMW's get real old cause after 150k it costs more to fix than purchase a new one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back