Michelin PR4 Vs Bridgestone T30 Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've worn out 2 sets of S20evo tires, mostly due to flattened centers on the rear I'm planning to purchase sport touring tires this time. The pilot road 4s are about $75-80 more per set than the T30evos.

Thoughts or recommendations? Bike is my XSR900, I rode mostly on trips or to visit family members who live 75miles away. Occasionally hit the twisties.

Last edited:
They're both excellent tires! Overall if you're trying to get the highest mileage out of the two, the PR4's will out do the T30's, especially in wet weather scenarios where Michelin's siping pattern will do a better job evacuating water away from the center contact patch.

Now, given the fact that you can save $75 on the set of Bridgestone's I would say the cost to mileage ratio is going to be roughly even. Im a fan of both tire manufacturers, but love the Bridgestone S21/T30, I think they're an amazing bang for the buck.

You could try a front s20 evo and rear t30 evo combination.I have done that. Works marvelous. Expect 10.000-11.000km until the rear gets worn out at the center with the front have some remaining tread if you are relatively careful.
t30 is more sporty than a touring tire. However I recommend a softer compound for the front such us the s20/21 or even the rs10

So-called Sport Touring tires have improved dramatically since the inception of the category. I've tried both the T30 Evo, and the PR4's on a roadracing track. It's surprising how much grip they have. I would give the edge to the Bridgestones for grip, and the PR4's for longevity.

A newer Sport Touring tire that I have yet to try, but I have heard great things about from people I know that ride 50k+ miles a year, is the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. If I were going with a Sport Touring tire, that's the one I'd try.

I can't speak for the Michelin but the Bridgestones are good tires. My Suzuki V-Strom 650 came to me with T30 (before Evo version). It rode and handled GREAT; changed rear to Metzeler Tourance since it was an adventure tire. Dissapointed that production moved to China but price was still up there. I missed the handling of the sport touring tire and went back to a full set of Bridgestone T30 Evo when the time came. No issues in rain and good wear so far.

Handling is sweet again. Just over $200 for front and rear compared to Michelin around $175 each.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
So-called Sport Touring tires have improved dramatically since the inception of the category. I've tried both the T30 Evo, and the PR4's on a roadracing track. It's surprising how much grip they have. I would give the edge to the Bridgestones for grip, and the PR4's for longevity.

A newer Sport Touring tire that I have yet to try, but I have heard great things about from people I know that ride 50k+ miles a year, is the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. If I were going with a Sport Touring tire, that's the one I'd try.

I'm in the process of replacing a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 (awesome tire, and a newer model than the two in the subject line), and started replacing them with Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I chose from tires I really like or was interested in based on price at my local tire shop. I also like trying new things, and the RS3 has that going for it. Additionally the older Roadsmart 2 had worked really well for me. Confidence inspiring, great in the rain, long lasting. If the 3 is better, it will be an awesome tire.

I don't ride 50k miles/year. bit over 20. Enough to wear out tires. Though a Roadsmart 2 front tire lasted longer than that for me. No other tire has.

Don't like PR4 as they scollop big time and the front has absolutely no feed back at all. Front is noisy.
Friend has T30 Evo and does not like them and they do not last.
I have used Dunlop RoadSmart 3 and the front wore quickly and felt real bad towards the end. The rear is a great tyre and lasted the longest of any rear tyre i have used and felt great to the end. 13,000km
Metzeler tyres are excellent. Z8 & 01 are great but the rear 01 did not last long.
For a while i ran a Metzeler 01 front & a RoadSmart 3 rear and this was probably the best tyre set ever used for handling (wet & dry) and longevity.

My experience with the PR4's was just like paulr1 said. They are great tires at first, but the front tire does scallop. The rear will flat spot, just like any other tire if it is used mainly on the highway, which can negate the longevity aspect that the PR4's are known for.
I have used the T30's and they are fine, but the lat 2 sets of tires have been Dunlop Roadsmart 2, and they have been the best of any tires I have used. For my riding and bike, my rear tire is usually replaced due to flat spotting rather than tread wear. My bike is a 2012 BMW R1200RT.
The longest lasting tire I have ever had on it were Michelin PR2's. You can still get them and they hsndle pretty well. In my opinion, they are the best of the PR series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back