Hankook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2015 Chevy Sonic came with Hankook tires . Need to replace them before winter .

I can bet Hankook tires from Walmart , pretty reasonable .

Douglas is a little cheaper , but lesser mile rating .

We get maybe 1 , 2 weeks of snow / ice a year , at the most .

Summer temps peak at over 100F .

Opinions ?

Thanks , :)

I would take a look at these.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+
Rated%29&partnum=965TR5AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=
Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Sonic%20Sedan&autoModClar=LT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...p;fromCompare1=
yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Sonic%20Sedan&autoModClar=LT

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely wouldn't buy Douglas tires from walmart. The money you save is not worth trusting your life to cheap, junky chinese tires.

Last edited:
Douglas is garbage. For the price of Hankooks you can get general RT43s which is a better tire than both. I have had experience with Hankook H727s but never cared for them. Decent traction, decently quiet but they wore very quickly for a high mileage rated tire.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
What is the difference between those Hankook tires & these , other than peice ?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/195-65-15-HANKOOK-OPTIMO-H724-89T-BW-Tires/17792580

Hankook is a budget brand, but they don't completely suck. Douglas is worse.

Budget brand?

Since when

Hankook are fitted as OE tyres on Mercedes Benz, Hyundai and Kia.

They are a solid mid priced tyre that performs aswell as many much more expensive brands.

Okay, little bit of a different opinion here, I have a Sonic as well. While I am pretty satisfied with the Hankook tires that came on my Sonic, I only have 40k on them at this point, and they look like they have quite a way to go yet. I have Douglas performance tires on my other car. My Douglas tires come with a 45k treadwear warranty. I have almost 40k on them and they aren't worn even half way. They are not made in China, they are actually one of the only tires I was able to find that were made in the U.S.A. I would buy them again, because even driving aggressively traction is great, never had any issues out of them at all. Not out of round, they are quiet and do their job nicely,being a performance tire the sidewall is on the stiffer side. I don't think they get enough credit because they are Walmart brand. When my Sonic needs tires I will consider the Douglas tires since they have actually been very good. The size I own are 205/55/16 and are on my Diesel VW beetle which is very front heavy for obvious reasons. I originally bought them because they were the cheapest and I was told my car was crooked. Well it turns out that Merchants tire just couldn't do an alignment. Douglas tires and a Pepboys alignment and here I am 40k later and the tires aren't even slightly feathered. Wearing perfectly across the tread. So to wrap it up, don't rule out the Douglas tires, while not saying they are the best out there, they aren't half bad.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Douglas is garbage. For the price of Hankooks you can get general RT43s which is a better tire than both. I have had experience with Hankook H727s but never cared for them. Decent traction, decently quiet but they wore very quickly for a high mileage rated tire.

Looks like the general RT43 is about $ 10 a tire higher , than the cheap Hankook , about the same as the other Hankook .

Present OEM Hankook tires have close to 40,000 miles on them . About what I expect for OEM tires . The ones in the Wally World say 75,000 miles ? I look at that with a grain of salt .

What about the Generals causes you to recommend them ? Better / longer tire wear ? A tire quieter than the OEM Hankook tires would be nice .

Where are the Hankook tires made ? Never heard of them before we bought the Sonic .

I've seen a Douglas tire on display at walmart and the sidewalls felt paper thin compared to other tires. No thanks.

I bought a set of 205/55R16 Michelin Defenders a few years ago during a Discount Tire Direct sale and got a set for $320 after rebates.

A set of Douglas 205/55R16 is $57/each plus tax. So around $245.

$75 more for a 90,000 set of Michelins verses a 45,000 Douglas is a no brainer for me.

And if you have 195/65R15's (not sure what you have?) the difference is even less. Around $45.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I've seen a Douglas tire on display at walmart and the sidewalls felt paper thin compared to other tires. No thanks.

I bought a set of 205/55R16 Michelin Defenders a few years ago during a Discount Tire Direct sale and got a set for $320 after rebates.

$75 more for a 90,000 set of Michelins verses a 45,000 Douglas is a no brainer for me.

And if you have 195/65R15's (not sure what you have?) the difference is even less. Around $45.

Right but one tire you can buy now for $57 each while the other one you have to wait till black Friday then get rebate cards back. Michelins aren't perfect and have reports of dry rotting. JTK on here has had several sets of Douglas tires and has been happy with them. Made in the USA and Goodyear is the parent company.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Love my current round of Walmart Douglas 225/60-17s. Mostly because they were $59.50/ea on sale. Half the cost of a "name brand". I actually don't see the real odd-ball import tires like I used to in the 1990s.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Hankook is a budget brand, but they don't completely suck. Douglas is worse.

No they produce a separate budget brand tire that has a different name, Laufenn which DTD sells.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Yes , 195/65R15's .

I recently replaced some Hankook Ventus V2 Concept tires after 65k miles. So I do have some respect for them. After rebates they wer~$120 before installation. I forget the exact number since it was 5 years ago. A local tire place has some Hankooks in the above size for $39 each. So maybe find some place that will price match. Here's the link:

http://vanstirepros.com/catalog/tires

Looks like a $70 rebate available as well.

Douglas tires also get good online reviews as well. Hard to beat the price so I'd strongly consider them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic

Right but one tire you can buy now for $57 each while the other one you have to wait till black Friday then get rebate cards back. Michelins aren't perfect and have reports of dry rotting. JTK on here has had several sets of Douglas tires and has been happy with them. Made in the USA and Goodyear is the parent company.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Love my current round of Walmart Douglas 225/60-17s. Mostly because they were $59.50/ea on sale. Half the cost of a "name brand". I actually don't see the real odd-ball import tires like I used to in the 1990s.

There is a black friday sale, labor day sale, Memorial Day sale, Fourth of July, Presidents Day and probably a few more. In most cases waiting a month or two is not a problem. To each their own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back