PP Euro 0w-40 2016 BRZ 5,278mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up UOA, viscosity sorted itself out after another 0w-40 refill. Farthest right analysis is Pennzoil 0w-20.

Curious why you moved up to 0w40. The results don't look much better, if at all, versus the 0w20.

I think you could dial it back to something lighter, assuming it maintains oil pressure under the hard cornering of autocross. If you are concerned about the wear from WOT at autocross, maybe get one of the more stout 0w20s like Motul 300V or Red Line.

Running this oil in my 2002 G20 with an SR20RR engine.

Seems to be good stuff! Would like to do a report, but the engine came out of a JDM import, so can't verify the actual miles. Supposedly 60k. Very clean and runs great, just not sure how legit my report would be lol

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Curious why you moved up to 0w40. The results don't look much better, if at all, versus the 0w20.

I think you could dial it back to something lighter, assuming it maintains oil pressure under the hard cornering of autocross. If you are concerned about the wear from WOT at autocross, maybe get one of the more stout 0w20s like Motul 300V or Red Line.

I was getting oil temperatures of 240f-250f while autocrossing, the corresponding oil pressure at idle was around 3-5 psi. I can't add an oil cooler to the car in the class that I run so I bumped up the oil viscosity. The Japanese service manual for this engine does spec up to 5w-40 for severe use. If I had a readily available non resource conserving 0w-30 oil at ~ $5 a quart I'd have run that. A light 0w-40 seems to be doing fine.

On a road trip to Lincoln Nebraska at 75 mph I got 30-33mpg and at 80mph+ I was getting around 28mpg with all of my autocross gear. The heavier oil doesn't seem to have affected mileage much.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
had you auto-crossed the 0/20?

Yes, the 0w-20 had 4 or 5 events on it.

Originally Posted By: cueball89

I was getting oil temperatures of 240f-250f while autocrossing, the corresponding oil pressure at idle was around 3-5 psi. I can't add an oil cooler to the car in the class that I run so I bumped up the oil viscosity. The Japanese service manual for this engine does spec up to 5w-40 for severe use. If I had a readily available non resource conserving 0w-30 oil at ~ $5 a quart I'd have run that. A light 0w-40 seems to be doing fine.

On a road trip to Lincoln Nebraska at 75 mph I got 30-33mpg and at 80mph+ I was getting around 28mpg with all of my autocross gear. The heavier oil doesn't seem to have affected mileage much.

240-250 degrees isn't really that bad, I get hotter temps than that on the track with no ill-effects. The 0w40 is certainly working fine, I just think you could probably run something thinner.

Even though auto-x isn't as hard on an engine as track time, I would just stick with 0W40 based on the bearing issues that some stressed BRZ's have had. A friend of mine has a BRZ that's regularly tracked and it turns Motul 300V 5W30 into a 20 grade which is no easy task.

I was getting oil temperatures of 240f-250f while autocrossing,

250F is normal operating temp on my 1er. Not really too hot.

Viscosity firmly in the 40 grade range? Do I not understand something about how blackstone test the oil or did they just cock that up? Has to be over 12.5 to be a 40 last time I checked. It's firmly in the 30 grade range now (depending on blackstone measurements being accurate of course).

Staying at this grade seems smart seeing as the oil temp is high and the viscosity seems to be 30 grade. It's likely thinning to a 20 grade range or less due to heat in autocross (120 degrees Celsius approx). So it's no different (viscosity wise) to daily driving normally with a 20 grade IMO.

I was getting oil temperatures of 240f-250f while autocrossing, the corresponding oil pressure at idle was around 3-5 psi. I can't add an oil cooler to the car in the class that I run so I bumped up the oil viscosity.

What are oil temps and idle pressure now?

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

What are oil temps and idle pressure now?

I haven't checked them at an autox event since switching oil but on the street I got the oil temp up to ~235f and had ~12psi at idle. Some initial temperature, rpm and pressure data is below.

0w-20
temp rpm psi
195 2000 42
195 3000 60
195 4000 78
203 5000 78
205 6000 78
213 7000 70

0w-40
temp rpm psi
200 2000 50
201 3000 74
205 4000 83
208 5000 86
213 6000 85
217 7000 82

Originally Posted By: KL31
Viscosity firmly in the 40 grade range? Do I not understand something about how blackstone test the oil or did they just cock that up? Has to be over 12.5 to be a 40 last time I checked. It's firmly in the 30 grade range now (depending on blackstone measurements being accurate of course).

I've noticed the same thing on a couple UOA's I had blackstone do years ago... My oil had sheared down to a 20wt from a 30wt, but the figure is never highlighted in bold, and they've never said anything about the viscosity.. I think one time, or both times they even said it stayed in grade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back